Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
How cheap it was to make is not very relevant either. It has been assumed so many times that the linothorax replaced the metal armour because it was cheaper. False,Gods and heros are shown wearing them,some times with no additional scales.I could very well have been a rather expensive item,and certainly it wasn't being constructed by amateur re-enactors like us,but by professionals who knew their job well.
A friend of mine who has been working at the excavations in Macedonia for twenty years says that he has never been present to any leather excavation,nor linen for that matter,from any age.Only wood,occasionally.
Dan,do you have any articles about the lining of the Vergina cuirass and the Dendra cuirass?
I admit that the leather piece Kineas posted some time ago looked rather good,but this doesn't mean anything at this point. Also,i think his idea to reconstruct one such cuirass from each matterial candidate is a good idea,but it wouldn't be conclusive in any way. A wrong interpretation about a certain thing by one re-enactor could make his armour unusuitable,and that would mean nothing about the matterial itself.
Dan,I'd very much like to see even a small piece of quilted linen as closely stitched as you're suggesting years now,made by you. I admit I have no experience of quilting and quilted armour in general.
Cole,it isn't a good idea to narrow the discussion so much,when we're debating on matterial in a given area such as Greece. If there are references of a matterial being in actual use for armour continuesly for some centuries,why ignore them and talk only about 490 bc and around?
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 02-23-2009, 03:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,370 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer