Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
Quote:I agree that the Dendra panoply and the lining of the Vergina cuirass are irrelevant to the subject.
It is not relevant regarding the subject of leather and linen armour. However, it is relevant to whether Greek plate armour had integrated liners. I brought it up because people were talking about what garment might have been worn underneath. If the armour had its own liner then a regular tunic would suffice. If not then something more substantial would be needed.

The link to the linothorax find has been posted on RAT more than once. Mr Salimbeti is the one who has seen it first hand. It was found in a proto-geometric cemetery near Patras. A preliminary count suggests at least 10 layers of linen and part of the border is still intact, confirming that it is an armour fragment and not some folded cloth.
<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16574&p=160479">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16574&p=160479<!-- l

As I said there is nothing in this thread that has not been said before. Produce a photo of one of these Macedonian leather armours. That would be worth continued discussion.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by Dan Howard - 02-24-2009, 03:39 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,376 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer