Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
And the argument is circular. We're using a recreation of a linen corselet to support the idea of a linen corselet existing in antiquity.

Thanks, Paul, for a survey of the evidence.

Her's a couple of new iotas of data, just so that, as we beat this poor dead horse, something new may eventually emerge. One is in FAVOR fo the glued linen thorax. Hey, I';m an equal opportunity researcher.

It appears that stage masks were actually made by laying up layers of linen with glue. Now, there's no reason to believe that this was water proof or good armour, but it does, at the very least, suggest that a technology for laying up linen with glue existed and was practiced in period. If pushed, I could even provide a citation...

On the other hand, my shiny new survey of the textiles from the Kithra [sic] dig in Egypt (now at Ann Arbor, Michigan) says that in Egypt, the home of linen weaving in antiquity, for a fabric sample of 3500 items from 100BC to 450AD, that 90% are wool, 5% are wool and linen mixed, and less than 3% is pure linen.

This matches all the textile historians I've seen, who say that linen was frightfully expensive in period. We see lots of it on ARF, but remember that half the figures are goddesses... if we need ten layers of linen to absorb an impact, just what does that cost?

So--linen and glue masks for the theater, but linen is rare...

I hope that I have failed to advance either argument. Big Grin
Qui plus fait, miex vault.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by Kineas - 02-25-2009, 12:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,065 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer