Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
Kineas/Christian wrote:
Quote:It appears that stage masks were actually made by laying up layers of linen with glue. Now, there's no reason to believe that this was water proof or good armour, but it does, at the very least, suggest that a technology for laying up linen with glue existed and was practiced in period. If pushed, I could even provide a citation...
....I think I would challenge this idea......it stems from Peter Connolly again! ( p.98 " The Ancient City" Connolly and Dodge). We don't know what the masks were made from, since none survive.....I've had this discussion with someone a while back, and it seems that what evidence there is points more to a 'papier mache' type of construction rather than glued layers.....
Quote:Paul,

Remind me never to get on the wrong side of a disagreement with you Smile

Cole

It's an illusion ! It's just that we have debated the evidence in regard to the Tube-and-Yoke corselet several times here on RAT, so it is all familiar territory, and apart from the Macedonian tomb evidence ( see separate thread on same) there isn't anything new........ :wink:
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by Paullus Scipio - 02-25-2009, 01:55 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,413 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer