Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
Quote:Herakles is so mythical as to defy "normalcy." But--it is worth noting that Herakles and his lion skin, belted over a chitoniskos with the paws coming over the shoulder like the yoke on a thorax, is a possible "armour meme" (I love all this jargon) that could refer to hide armour.

I have been struck by this in the past as well- especially when in some examples we see the "yokes" overlapping in front (That Keltic image recently shown does this I think). I have been looking for some feature of early yoke fastenings that would imply "paws", or conversely some image of a lion skin with paws that look like fasteners used on yokes. One problem is that I think the shape and somewhat odd manner of fastening the yoke inner edge to the tube is functional- allowing the arm to be raised easily for the overhand strike.

Also, is it just me or does this phrase seem to rule out glue: "white corselets of new linen". I would never say I just patched the hull of my fibreglas boat with new "Woven Roving". The composite should be more than it's base. The phrase could still work for quilted, but even then the amount of processing should be reflected. Something like "white corselets of close stiched linen". It could be explained if he knew they wore linothorakes from an oral tradition, but had never seen one and did not know how they were made.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by PMBardunias - 02-26-2009, 04:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,390 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer