Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
Quote:Also, Paul B, what's the estimated date on that fascinating vase?

I do not, but its at the Louvre, so I can probably re-find it at some point. The rest of the vase is interesting as well.

I don't know if I am the first to propose that the leather was Alum tawed, but I did so on here a while back after examining the properties of different types of leather and the widespread ancient use of alum for everything from medicine to fire proofing textiles. It was of course the whiteness that first attracted me.

One thing that I came across at the time is that Alum tawed leather can easily be made more supple through working, but conversely, it can be made very stiff. Evidently you can wash it out until it basically becomes raw hide. I have very little experience with tanning, so this is something that perhaps others can determine. Unfortunately I did not save most of the references I was reading at the time, so I can't point you to them.

Because it is tawed, not tanned, I would imagine some waterproof coating would be beneficial, but Christian recently showed some that wore quite well. I also do not know the effect of prolonged contact of Alum against sweat-wetted flesh. With some of the glues and resins that have been suggested for the idea of gluing I would expect a not insignificant level of allergic reaction.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by PMBardunias - 02-27-2009, 04:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,256 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer