Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
The 'onomastikon' definition has been posted before - most notably in the long debate on this subject a year or so ago.

Since that time the only 'new' evidence that seems to have emerged [ to my knowledge] is the excavation of a relatively large number of Macedonian warrior tombs [also covered in a thread here], often containing 'Illyrian' type helmets, with gold death masks and apparently Tube-and-Yoke fittings. The news reports that have surfaced so far also make enigmatic references to 'leather' body armour, but whether this is just a guess, the usual dried out fragments, or something more tangible, is anyone's guess at this stage.

Dan wrote:
Quote:I'd like to apologise to Paul.
....not sure which Paul is meant here, but speaking for myself, I cannot recall anything which might merit an apology. Indeed, your posts are often a refreshing reminder not to read too much into any given piece of evidence......
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by Paullus Scipio - 03-09-2009, 09:52 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,383 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer