Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
In the well known picture of the hoplite killing a Persian (it's in Osprey and it' s been posted half a dozen times to this list, so I'll save electrons) the hoplite is almost certainly wearing a pair of goat-skins. Wait--that's an assertion. He's wearing something that is not a normal chiton, and I have to note at this point that a number of literary authors refer to farmers as men who wear leather chiton's. Now, where are those quotes? Lost on my desk, it appears. What word does Aristophanes use? Darn it!

At any rate, it would be possible that all a spola is is a pair of skins worn as a garment hanging from the shoulder, but I can make the opposite argument and say "that's how it started" but as the tube-and yoke came into being, it got the name "spola." for fairly obvious reasons.

Here is the LJ entry for Spola and Stole, which appear to be the same word in different dialects. Has this been discussed before? because Stole is a very interesting word. See the following...

stol-ê , hê, Aeol. spola (q.v.): ( [stellô] ):--

A. equipment, fitting out, stratou A.Supp.764 .

2. armament, Id.Pers.1018 (lyr.).

II. equipment in clothes, raiment, ib.192; schêma Hellados s. S.Ph.224, cf. E.Heracl.130; hippada stolên enestalmenoi Hdt.1.80 ; s. hippikê Ar.Ec.846 ; Skuthikê Hdt.4.78 ; Thrêikia E.Rh.313 ; Mêdikê X.Cyr.8.1.40 ; gunaikeia Ar.Th.851 , cf. 92; toxikê Pl.Lg.833b ; stolên echein ên am boulêtai SIG1003.14 (Priene, ii B.C.): metaph. of birds, s. pterôn Ach.Tat.1.15 .

2. garment, robe, S.OC1357,1597, PCair.Zen.54.32 (pl.), 263.4,8 (iii B.C.), BGU1860.4 (i B.C.), etc.; s. thêros, of the lion's skin which Heracles wore, E.HF465; en s. peripatein in full dress, M.Ant.1.7 (v.l. -liôi ap.Suid.), cf. Ev.Marc.12.38.

3. act of dressing, meta tên s. Orib.Syn.5.21.

Red emphasis is mine...
Qui plus fait, miex vault.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by Kineas - 03-09-2009, 10:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,070 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer