Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
Quote:Why is shoe making connected to alum tawed leather? Would not other tanning methods be more appropriate for shoe making? Am I missing something here? If it has something to do with shoe making are we not just looking at vegetable tanned leather?

I don't know why, since tawed leather would seem innapropriate for something that will be repeatedly wetted, but there is a link to alum tawed leather and famous shoe leather from spain. You'll have to search, because I am drawing from memeory here, but it may have been called "Moroccan" leather and was red as I recall. Perhaps this was a composite tanned leather and the alum was used to make it creamy white for later dyeing.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by PMBardunias - 03-13-2009, 04:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,612 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer