Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
Quote:I agree that the illustration could easily be showing the cord in motion while the flap is spinging back up.

So, you'd support that notion even though Achilles has loosened the flap and gotten on with working on the arm?

Come on!

I don't mean to be dogmatic about this, but you should agree that if it is represented the same way with or without scales, it is merely a convention, not a point of realism, and the cord standing in the air proves it.

All I wish to say, and I will keep saying this, is that we KNOW virtually NOTHING about the T+Y armors. We can say "perhaps the shoulder armor stood up straight". But we don't know that it did. Looks at their conventions for the depiction of running animals, if you want an example of how far from "realism" Greek art could be.

Dan, I'm sorry to be your nay-sayer, but I can make a scale shirt where the whole shoulder thing hangs behind the back. On sheepskin, exactly like the Altai Scythic finds. The scales won't interfere with the hang very much at all. Why do you think otherwise? Scales are applied in rows, and the area between the rows will, in fact, act as a leather hinge on softer leathers.
Do you have evidence for your assertion?? Or do you mean you own one or two and they won't hang that way? Perhaps Roman shirts with 4, 6 or 9 holes? Different item altogether, I think.
Qui plus fait, miex vault.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by Kineas - 03-16-2009, 02:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,413 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer