Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
Given the fact that a number of styles and cuts are extant in a given time period, you may well be right, Cole. However in the period, say, 525-450 BC, the waistline is generally around the hips or a little higher at roughly navel height. The length of the pteryges is also variable but not much, being fairly short. Both the 'Ariston' and 'Achilles tying the wounds of Patroclus' depictions fall within this type, and I would call any difference in waistline minimal, and falling within individual variation.

I have in mind later examples such as the two depicted in the Macedonian tomb of Lyson and Kallikles,(c.200 BC) where the waistline is much higher, at diapragm/sternum level, and the pteryges are significantly longer, preserving the overall length. This type is totally unknown ( at least to me) in the period 525-450 BC, hence my observation.
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by Paullus Scipio - 03-18-2009, 10:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,364 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer