Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
Hello,
Im new to the forum, but I am very impressed with the wealth of information available!

This discussion is very interesting, After all of the arguments presented I am inclined to believe that leather was the material used in the construction of the T-Y (a new term for me!)
Before reading this thread I believed, as I expect many did that they were made from linen, with leather being a possibility.

I found this quote from Herodotus concerning the Scythians which may or may not be significant:

"Others flay the right arm of their enemies, and make of the kin, which is stripped off with the nails hanging to it, a covering for their quivers. Now the skin of a man is thick and glossy, and would in whiteness surpass almost all other hides"

This suggests that white hides were available. leather made from human skin is very pale but not true white (you can find images of artifacts made from skin online... usually the product of a serial killer, Nazis or other madmen).

Regards
Steve
Stephen May - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.immortalminiatures.com">www.immortalminiatures.com

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by immortal - 04-09-2009, 10:38 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,381 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer