Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
Just for clarification.
The two linen corselets I have seen were from a Mycenaean/Proto geometric cemetery near Patras These were dated around 1100 BC.
The two elements were very large about the size of a big human chest, I was able to count at least 10 layers and a piece of embroided edge was still visible. But I can't said if these layer were glued or not.
These two thick linen elements have been found in two different warriors' graves on top of two tripode bronze caulderons . Inside the caulderons some weapons have been found (bronze spear points and iron daggers or knifes ) a substrate of leather was also present inside the caulderons and of course the ashes cremation remains of the warriors.
The Arcaheologist supposed that these large linen elements were more likely the linen corselets of the warrorios placed over the top of the caulderons containig the weapons and the ashes of the warriors.
Other very thick linens remains (about 15 layers) were also attested by Schliemann during his excavation on the 16th Century BC tombs in Mycenae.
So these elements are not from Thebes and are not large like a tumbs!!
I just ironically hipotized that these findings will be published within 50 years ...just because normaly the archaeological discoveries are not published in short time....These elements have been excavated in 2005 and so far non official report seems to be issued.
After so many years I really hope that these elements (which in the excavation site were keeped inside a large refrigerator) could have been placed in some museums.... hopefully the Arcaheologiacl museum in Patras.
Regards
Andrea Salimbeti

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by salimbeti - 04-30-2009, 09:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,299 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer