Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
Quote:I would venture to suggest that one might establish the existence of such a thing before asking questions such as those you pose about the construction of such a hypothetical object...... Smile D

So then it's pretty much accepted that the suggestion linen was ever used is completely unsupported? I've only relatively recently become interested in things Greek, beyond the generalities I've read over the years and have now dismissed having learned that much that's stated as fact is more than dubious :lol: So I'm looking at great discussions like this to find the primary evidence, and 10 pages has been a bit tough. Just to clarify for my dumb ass, and anyone else who braves this thread not knowing sooo much- it does seem that the references to linen are not readily accpeted because of source, context and date, but that there is some better evidence for the use of leather- whether that is rawhide, tawed or tanned leather is uncertain. Does that sum it up relatively accurately?

I do like the idea of a composite though- leather/rawhide faced with linen, given what I know about the problems with rawhide, and the efficacy of linen facings in other composite pieces such as shields. Would that perhaps work and help with some of the seeming issues?
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by Matt Lukes - 05-19-2009, 05:10 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,416 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer