Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
Quote:This quote do not invalidate Nepos I think. It is obvious that he was using earlier source, possibly greek one, so he had to translate it to latin. Full text is:

Quote:idem genus loricarum novum instituit et pro sertis atque aeneis linteas dedit.

So he replaced "linked and bronze with linen". I do not see it imposible that he found simply "thorax" in his source, and tried to explain it to his readers, or maybe he found sth like "thorax chalkeos" and tried to translate.

The fact that he stated that mail was in use in Iphicrates' day, even if it was an attempt to make sense of the passage for his Roman readership, immediately casts doubt on his recounting of the armour reforms in general. How do we know that his statement that they changed their earlier armour for linen is not some interpolation either? This part of his account is made even more suspect by the fact that it is the only element of the reform which Diodorus does not relate in his version. This means that even if he was drawing from some Greek source, it was not known to Diodorus, and so was likely later.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by MeinPanzer - 05-20-2009, 03:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,071 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer