Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
hi, i'm new, but i've read a number of threads on linothorax (sweet tap-dancing gods, have i been reading) and i have to say that i'm rather firmly in the layered linen camp. now, there are a few questions i haven't seen asked and there are a few ideas for glue that i want to run by some of you guys.

1) why is it unreasonable to think that there was some sort of glue that turned somewhat insoluble? (i have a reference for a "recipe" i will put down shortly)

2) now, here's a big clincher for me, what was/is the average rainfall in greece during the campaigning season? would i be wrong in thinking that it's rather low? so there's no major NEED for the T-Y to be completely weatherproof like what would be needed in say....british columbia?

3) i don't know anything about sewing and such, but i would think that the edges would have been sewed in such a way as to maintain structural cohesion even when wet. from what i've seen/read layered linen IS effective at stopping arrows and blows, so who cares if the T-Y loses some of its stiffness. i personally would lay it flat under weights and have my slaves take care of it, because really, that's what slaves were for.

below is a quote from a book that can be found on amazon. it is pulled from page 238 here

"When thoroughly dried pure caseine will keep for a long time without suffering alteration. To obtain the caseine in a form suitable for for preparing cements it is only necessary to pour water over a corresponding quantity and allow it to stand for some time. Caseine combines with lime to a hard insoluble mass."

caseine (milk product) + (available) lime could possibly have been used, no? i'm sure there's a way of reducing the amount of lime so that the mass isn't quite as hard (the same way that the amount of marble dust added to hide glue is reduced to make a softer surface when preparing icon boards). i would also think that the addition of some sort of resin (mastic) would have rendered the solution more supple.

another "recipe" (on page 240) uses borax (it's a persian word) over the caseine that when used on paper, LINEN, or cotton goods will leave a "beautiful lustre". there is much to this book, and i think i might get it for further use.

i plan on trying various "recipes" for adhesives throughout the coming months, and will definitely keep track of what i do and will take pictures of my results.

thanks for the new obsession, guys! :lol:
Alana Pribilski

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by Dame dEnfer - 06-25-2009, 04:21 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,064 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer