Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
The precipitation in Greece would perhaps not come from above (although it can also rain in Greece :wink: ) but certainly from inside (sweat). It would be important to prove that ancient glue of any kind could be resistent against dampness to a certain degree. Ask yourself why the Romans used shield covers to protect the glued shields from wet conditions.

I strongly believe in the existence of linen Greek armour in the classical times (although I think leather is better "proven" from the written sources) but I don't believe in glueing. Believing is not knowing, so I am open to new knowledge and arguments. But I don't have till now seen any ancient hint for glueing armour (I am very eager to read about the linen found in the Mycenaean period, perhaps it was glued), and I don't know any reference for the glueing of armour in any culture and any time before and thereafter. If it was such a successful method why was it not used afterwards? If we had just one credible reference for a glued linen armour in other historical periods...

I don't think that rigidity of the armour was of such an importance. Of course it's good against blunt trauma but you can decrease blunt trauma also with thick soft armour. I have read one medieval source that says that the softer the soft armour, the better the protection. It may have been an Italian of the 15th c. referring to English soft body armour, I don't know now. I will take a look if I can find it. Perhaps some other knows about it? If we take some vase paintings seriously, at least some of the depicted tube-and-yoke cuirasses could not have been rigid, some others perhaps were.
Wolfgang Zeiler

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by geala - 06-25-2009, 09:33 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,057 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer