Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
Matt--I feel for you, because today I came upon this tidbit in Pausanias. I offer it in full because I haven't seen it in this argument, or anywhere else for that matter. Before I go on, let me comment that Pausanias is a difficult writer--he's writing about 165 AD give or take a decade, and he's pednatic and goes on endless digressions, and there are some serious questions about his Greek grammar--he uses some prepositions in manners that could drive you to drink.
That said, he went to Greece in or around 168 AD and visited all the great shrines and trophies and described what he saw in detail, preserving, in many cases, our only knowledge of great statuary, shield dedications--heck, in at least one case, he's the sole source on a battle of the Classical world (Oinoe). And nothing in this quote "proves" anything--except that in Pausanias's view, there was linen armour, and he's seen it hanging as dedications in shrines. And that is worthy evidence, especially as he speaks as if from personal knowledge of its qualities.
He begins with a very nice description of a dedicated Sauromatae thorax made of horn scales. He goes on:
Quote:These [horn or hoof scales] pieces they bore and stitch together with the sinews of horses and oxen, and then use them as breastplates [thoraxin] that are as handsome and strong as those of the Greeks. For they can withstand blows of missiles and those struck in combat. Linen breastplates [Oi de thorakes oi linoi] are not so useful to fighters, for they let the iron pass through if the blow be a violent one. They aid hunters, however, for the teeth of lions or leopards break off in them. You may see linen breastplates [thorakes de linous] dedicated in other sanctuaries, notably in that at Gryneum, where there is a most beautiful grove of Apollo...

Now, this is not all it looks to be... First, Gryneum (Gryneion) is opposite Lesvos on the Turkish mainland, in Ancient Pergamum, which may well have been Pausanias's homeland. So it is possible we're just substantiating that linen was used for breastplates in Asia. Second, it's worth noting how he feels that it is suitable for hunting but not for war--which sounds to me like quilting. Third, he's writing so late that there's no knowing whether his thorakes are being dedicated in the Hellenistic period or the Classical or even Archaic.

But it's a nice quote, I hadn't seen it on this thread, and I thought it was worth propagating. I wonder if Pausanias has more?
Qui plus fait, miex vault.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by Kineas - 07-30-2009, 12:51 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,065 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer