Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
Another piece to throw on the fire:

I've been digging through Delian inventories lately, and I came upon this entry:

Quote:A cavalry thyreos in an oblong [shape?]- (em plaisiwi peri- and then lacuna)... a perfect gilded helmet with gilded horns and cheek pieces- (lacuna)... [something] silvered. Cuirass of woven linen with golden disks (thoraka huphanton linoun echonta chrusas aspidiskas)

Of course, this could very well be a cuirass captured from a barbarian, but the context of the other arms mentioned doesn't seem to indicate this. Foreign arms often seem to be qualified as such, and the horned helmet, for instance, is a very Hellenistic emblem of kingship - helmets with horns are shown, of course, on Seleucid coins. Still nice to have another source to work with.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by MeinPanzer - 03-26-2010, 06:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,319 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer