Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
(04-27-2016, 11:32 PM)Dan Howard Wrote: You quoted a pretty old post. Based on what we know today it seems that Greek armour was more commonly made from leather than linen. I agree that linen armour could have a leather cover (there are plenty of medieval examples) but usually this cover was an integral part of the armour, not a separate garment.

Do you know anything about Iron Age Gallic armor around 300bc onward? It seems like they should have more in the way of armor than just tunics for most and chainmail for the rich. Not much is really talked about that. Even the Romans had padding. There is a mod for the game Medieval 2 Total War called Europa Barbarorum II, it shows some of the Gallic troops wearing what looks like linothorax or leather armor or some sort of padded armor. The purpose of the mod and its original version were to depict the period of the Roman Republic and early empire.

(04-28-2016, 12:35 AM)Braden Vande Plasse Wrote:
(04-27-2016, 11:32 PM)Dan Howard Wrote: You quoted a pretty old post. Based on what we know today it seems that Greek armour was more commonly made from leather than linen. I agree that linen armour could have a leather cover (there are plenty of medieval examples) but usually this cover was an integral part of the armour, not a separate garment.

Do you know anything about Iron Age Gallic armor around 300bc onward? It seems like they should have more in the way of armor than just tunics for most and chainmail for the rich. Not much is really talked about that. Even the Romans had padding. There is a mod for the game Medieval 2 Total War called Europa Barbarorum II, it shows some of the Gallic troops wearing what looks like linothorax or leather armor or some sort of padded armor. The purpose of the mod and its original version were to depict the period of the Roman Republic and early empire. 

PS: Do you think spears were used over arm or under arm in antiquity? ThegnThrand on YouTube has a whole bunch of videos about it. I didn't mean to copy my last post...I must have accidentally hit reply on my phone

Messages In This Thread
RE: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by Braden Vande Plasse - 04-28-2016, 12:35 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,373 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer