Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weight and grip of sarissa and shield in macedonian phalanx
Quote:Perhaps I am misunderstanding you, but I understood the top passage to refer to the Roman shields (the wall refered to)being pierced and held back from closing with the phalanx, in a frontal formation against formation confrontation.

I think the linking of these two phrases makes it clear that he is referring to the Macedonians. Whomever is the "wall" is also "bristling with arms". Why would he be alarmed at the impressiveness of a roman shield wall? The author is describing the innefectiveness of the Romans against the phalanx, so suddenly praising the strength of their "wall" would be odd. The picture the author paints is that they: Brought round their peltae, lowered their sarissa, thus looked like a wall bristling with weapons.

Quote:brought them round before them, and all at once stooped their pikes against their enemies' shields, and considered the great strength of this wall of shields, and the formidable appearance of a front thus bristling with arms
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Weight and grip of sarissa and shield in macedonian phalanx - by PMBardunias - 08-30-2009, 02:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Article on Reenacting a Macedonian Phalanx Sean Manning 6 55,414 06-02-2021, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  The Macedonian phalanx: overarm or underarm? Justin Swanton 3 3,449 03-13-2018, 03:05 AM
Last Post: Michael J. Taylor
  The Nature of Command in the Macedonian Sarissa Phalanx Steven James 0 2,408 10-25-2016, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Steven James