Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CENTURION film: Babes in face paint!
Here we go again:
[url:1sscxcc5]http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=24388[/url]
Pecunia non olet
She can't speak?? What a blessing--the script can only be half as bad as it would otherwise! Of course, it limits what she can *do* in some scenes... See you at the Oscars.

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
I wish there were more movies that showed the Romans conquering and kicking arse...this movie's storyline stinks.

Legion: TBD
They posted a picture of the Roamn troops in the local paper last thursday!

Plastic Segs and Gallic 'G's........ :roll:
And the icing on the cake.......they were all carrying Hasta! :? lol: :lol:

And not one of them had their chin straps tied!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:See you at the Oscars.

Matt - Hey, ya know what? Why don't we go and crash that party?!

muahahahah

untied helmet straps? Whoa, they musta been in a rush or something. Tongue
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Confusedhock: :? |

As C3PO said, "Will this never end?"

I just watched Doomsday last night, and while amusing as a Road Warrior meets 28 Days Later meets Timeline meets Damnation Alley meets Escape From New York/LA/Scotland...I shudder to think what will happen to the Roman Empire in the hands of this director.

I know, I know -- it is only a movie and the Director, wisely, has made no statements (yet) about authenticity or trying to bring out the true spirit of the times etc. etc. etc. but still...

No doubt it will have more visual style than Last legion, but no more wit than that witless adventure.

:|

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1118228

This is the article the photo appeared with, but it isn't on the website.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:They posted a picture of the Roman troops in the local paper last thursday!

Plastic Segs and Gallic 'G's........ :roll:
And the icing on the cake.......they were all carrying Hasta! :? lol: :lol:

Hey at least they wern't leather :?
Ben.
Hmmmm, leather at least was in use in that time, plastic.....bleack!!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It's actually quite interesting to see how these movies reflect the zeitgeist-changes in our western world (for example by replacing traditional male action heroes with 'babes').
--- Marcus F. ---
But we still like babes, shown larger than life, with face paint, in full color, don't we? :roll:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
This has to be the most pedantic forum I've ever come across!

I'm happy to see a movie coming out that shows the Roman Army getting it's arse kicked, as definitely happened from time-to-time.

After Mons Graupius, the northern Scottish tribes learnt how to fight the Romans and, in this respect, I think 'Centurion' will be quite accurate...

There will certainly be lots of inaccuracies in the film and I think Neil Marshall is more than aware of these. BUT THIS IS A FEATURE FILM, NOT A DOCUMENTARY!!! It's not meant to pander to pedants...
Hamish Moir
A Roman period Braveheart?I hope not. :roll:
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

[Image: Peditum3.jpg]
Quote:This has to be the most pedantic forum I've ever come across!

I'm happy to see a movie coming out that shows the Roman Army getting it's arse kicked, as definitely happened from time-to-time.

After Mons Graupius, the northern Scottish tribes learnt how to fight the Romans and, in this respect, I think 'Centurion' will be quite accurate...

There will certainly be lots of inaccuracies in the film and I think Neil Marshall is more than aware of these. BUT THIS IS A FEATURE FILM, NOT A DOCUMENTARY!!! It's not meant to pander to pedants...

Sure, what I would expect from a true scots :wink: ...btw, you need to put your real name in your signature Scottie boy!
As to learning how to fight the Romans, they resorted to the only method available to anyone who could not field a modern field army, then as today, and resorted to guerrilla warfare. It was possibly a fluke that the Romans managed to catch them enmass at Mons Graupius, as I believe they were more inclined to avoid the Romans in a head on confrontation before then too. But I am inclined to believe it was good intelligence and the Romans ability to move rapidly that helped them corner them for a large scale confrontation.

BTW, are you saying the Romans get their asses kicked in the movie? Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: :lol: What novel is this based on then?

We're not so much pedantic as people who spend a lot of time following a hobby in some cases, others who have careers in history, archaeology, etc

It wouldn't be the end of the world to expect a film to accurately portray the Romans
any more than any other aspect of history in a movie.....saying that I quite liked Gladiator...Duck incoming missiles but all the same, I would love to get the chance to see a film that shows it how it really was, instead of as a figment of the imagination.

Also, I am quite jealous that us Romans who live up in the north didn't get a shot in there too. Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:This has to be the most pedantic forum I've ever come across!

:?

Based upon Mr. Marshall's body of work I'm not certain he is aware of historical inaccuracies in this film, or any other. I actually enjoyed Doomsday for what it was, as I did Road Warrior, or Escape from NY or 28 Days Later. (All of which it closely resembled come to think of it...)

Just as Spielberg played fast and lose with history in his film Saving Pvt. Ryan or Ridley Scott did with his film Gladiator, or Coppola with Apocalypse Now, or Stone with JFK, so too should Marshall be allowed to play.

He might consider changing the title to "Babe Heart" to give the audience a better idea what they are walking into.

As Tarbicus has so often reminded us, and rightly so, it is difficult at best and certainly not wise to judge a film that has not been released.

It is possible this film will be a lot of fun.

Or it could be another Last Legion.

As always time will tell.

As for this site being pedantic...did you really think a site devoted to Roman Military history would not make comments about the historical accuracy of the film's depiction of the Roman Army? :? roll:

Be that as it may I'll will wait for the film's release and then judge it on the merits of the film itself.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1950\'s movie Babes Hibernicus 22 4,106 05-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Last Post: TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS