Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help With Latin
A former professor from grad school sent me these wondering what the correct translation would be. (His areas of expertise are pre-modern Japanese Lit, Bunraku Theatre, and Japanese language.)

Came across these in a novel I'm reading:
On a sign outside a girl's finishing school
     Puellae venerunt
     Abierunt mulieres

I'm guessing that the first line means something like, "The young girls come [to us]"
"And they...........what?

Then: Veritatem, scientiam, humanitatem hic repperunt
"Truth, science, humanities ______ "

Thanks for any help you can provide.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Translation is (I think): They came as girls and left as grown women.
Are you sure that's the text for the second line? If it's reppererunt, it becomes "And they found..."
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Thanks Jasper!

That is info I have straight from my professor -- perhaps he transcribed it incorrectly. I have sent it off to him and we will see if it makes any sense in the context of the story he is reading.

Thanks again.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:I have sent it off to him and we will see if it makes any sense in the context of the story he is reading
Everything is better than the disgusting inscription they made opposite our local Latin school, here in Amsterdam: go here.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Everything is better than the disgusting inscription they made opposite our local Latin school, here in Amsterdam: go here.
:lol:
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Confusedhock:

Ah, the joys of a Classical Education.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA