Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Army School and Exhibition, Durham.
Hi

I will be attending the Roman Army School in Durham from Saturday 4th-Wednesday 8th April, will anyone else from RAT be there?

My latest paintings are also on display at the Archaeology Museum in Durham for the duration of the School and for a week afterwards. If anyone wants to call in for a chat and talk about the paintings, I will be at the Museum on the Monday (6th) afternoon.

Hope to see someone there.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Roman Army School? Sounds interesting! Wish I could attend, what is it?
Mind you, I arrive home the 3rd so wouldn't be able to organise it anyway, as am heading to Canada on the 8th April.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hi

Quote:Roman Army School? Sounds interesting! Wish I could attend, what is it?

Four days of lectures on The Roman Army by various speakers including Adrian Goldsworthy and Jon Coulston. For a full list of the lectures go to the Hadrianic Society website.

http://www.hadrianicsociety.com

Byron there is one lecture on the latest evidence from Roman Scotland!

Graham.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Wow! Cool stuff, Graham Have a blast!

I'm interested in your "Casear's Alexandrian campaign" paper - do you have this available?
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote:I'm interested in your "Casear's Alexandrian campaign" paper - do you have this available?

Sadly not my paper Andy, it will be Adrian Goldsworthy giving that lecture.

Graham.

David Woolliscrofts talks are always really interesting, as an interpretive archaeologist, his pioneering work on the Gask frontier over the last couple of years is threatening to rewrite the history books... pushing the dates back for the construction of the Frontier by about 20-30 years!!

His work is really interesting and I recommend if you are going, then to drop in and listen..

Claire
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
Quote:His work is really interesting and I recommend if you are going, then to drop in and listen..

Claire

Hi Claire

Will you or anybody else from Comitatus be there then?

Graham.

Hi Graham,

I'm afraid I won't be going, I can't speak for other comitatus members, it might be worth contacting John, I think the only thing likely to put people off is the price to be honest, as interesting as it sounds - I know Dave Woolliscroft was trying to get me to go last year when he was taking us for a Roman module @ university.. but I am at the ASA's in Bristol giving a paper there over the same week this year

It would be nice to talk to you sometime about your work and view some of your recent artwork. You are located in Flint aren't you? I'm from Flint and visit my parents there on a regular basis..

Cheers

Claire
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
This sounds interesting, but I've missed the boat on this one!
Perhaps I will have better luck next year!

Thanks Graham.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Alas not this year for one reason or another. I'm kicking myself already. Cry
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

[Image: Peditum3.jpg]
Hello Claire

Quote:It would be nice to talk to you sometime about your work and view some of your recent artwork. You are located in Flint aren't you? I'm from Flint and visit my parents there on a regular basis..

PM sent

Graham.

Sounds great. I'll be there.
Derek D. Estabrook
Quote:Sounds great. I'll be there.

For the whole event Derek or just to see my exhibition? I will be at the exhibition on the Monday afternoon.

Graham.

I'll try and see as much of the exhibition as possible, but I will definately be there on Monday to see yours.
Derek D. Estabrook
Hello Derek

Quote:I'll try and see as much of the exhibition as possible, but I will definately be there on Monday to see yours.

My exhibition is something quite seperate from the rest of The Roman Army School which is a series of lectures over four and a half days. There is a fee paid in advance for those and the course takes place in a college just outside of Durham.

On the other hand my paintings are on display at The Museum Of Archaeology, which is in the Old Fulling Mill situated below the Cathedral, right by the river in the centre of Durham. There is a small admission charge to the Museum and I will be there Monday afternoon only. So I look forward to meeting you and showing you my latest paintings.

Graham.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Army School, Durham, 2024 Renatus 0 346 11-18-2023, 09:35 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Roman Army School, Durham, 2023 Renatus 1 521 12-28-2022, 08:12 AM
  Roman Army School, Durham, 2020 Renatus 1 7,679 01-10-2020, 05:36 PM