Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
layered cingulum construction
Hi all,

Here my newest project. I'm going to make a 'layered' cingulum, out of thin leather with linen core, as we discussed some time ago here: link from old RAT.

I cut all pieces and coloured the leather green (and I'm going to use yellow yarn for sewing, to get a nice effect). The main part is 12 width, the linen core 5,5 cm. The plates that are going to be on it will be 5 cm width, so the belt will become a little bit wider, to allow the stitching seeing along the plates.

As the apron is going to be inserted in the core of the main belt, I have to start with that part first. Therefore I cut 2 layers of leather and started to place all 'buttons' on it. (I got the buttons from re-enactors). All the plates are going to be made myself, expect the pugio frogs and the buckle.

Halfway placing the buttons:
[Image: DSC06226.jpg]

All buttons in place:
[Image: DSC06227.jpg]

And the backsides of both layers of the apron with the buttons in place:
[Image: DSC06228.jpg]

Next step is to sewn these 2 layers together and place the terminals. To be continued.
ALA I BATAVORUM
And the apron is ready. I didn't attach the loose parts of the terminals, yet, as these make extra weight when attaching the apron to the main belt, which I'm going to do next. An overview and a detail picture of the apron:

[Image: DSC06229.jpg]

[Image: DSC06230.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
This looks realy nice Jurjen!
I like the green and yellow, I was thinking of doing this combination for my Suburmalis sometime...

Can't wait to see the end result is the main belt going to get the same color?
Is the coloring difficult?
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
Yes, the main belt is also green. The leatherpaint I used for this one has to be smeared onto the leather and I didn't found it that difficult, only a very smelly business to do (due to the solvent that's in there). On big area's it was hard to get it nicely smooth coloured, but for a belt this doesn't matter, but for big surfaces I wouldn't use this method.
ALA I BATAVORUM
One more question, what period would this type of cinculum be?
And for what kind of impression is this... The colors look very auxilia to me, but that is because where programed by to many green and yellow auxilia shields :wink:
Folkert van Wijk
I'm planning to use this belt in both legionairy as (batavian) auxilia impressions in flavian period.

The apron terminals will be inspired by those from Tekije and the belt plates by some from Windisch. If I'm right these are both finds dated to early principate.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Looks great Jurjen, I'm a big fan of green colored leather.

Legion: TBD
Quote:I'm planning to use this belt in both legionairy as (batavian) auxilia impressions in flavian period.

The apron terminals will be inspired by those from Tekije and the belt plates by some from Windisch. If I'm right these are both finds dated to early principate.

Flavian? Early principate? Hey your talking to a Celt here, what do I know about Flavian or Roman Princiates.
I take it you mean something like 1st century AD?
Folkert van Wijk
Sorry, Folkert, thought you were a bit familiar with that. late 1st century AD.
ALA I BATAVORUM
And an update. Just started the main belt, which is made out of a piece of 12,5 cm width leather with a 6 cm width core of heavy linen. To make the sewing more easy I glued the whole thing together. The Apron is inserted in the core.

[Image: DSC06231.jpg]

[Image: DSC06232.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Looks nice Jurjen...plan on tinning any of the belt plates? Might look cool...

Legion: TBD
Quote:Looks nice Jurjen...plan on tinning any of the belt plates? Might look cool...

Thanks. I indeed think it's worth the effort to make such a belt. Originally I planned to tin the plates (partly), but my recent try-outs of tinning didn't work out that nice, so I'm not sure about that, as for now. Also, as I'm still improving my skills in making the beltplates, I'm sure this isn't my last belt of this kind, so maybe I'll just let it be untinned, for now.
ALA I BATAVORUM
And the sewing of the main beltpiece started. Enjoy!

[Image: DSC06233.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Very nice work!

I want to see, if possible, a view of the back of the cingulum. I want to see how you have done the "connexion" between the front part and the back part. Please... :wink:
Quote:Very nice work!

I want to see, if possible, a view of the back of the cingulum. I want to see how you have done the "connexion" between the front part and the back part. Please... :wink:

Although from the test piece, I made earlier, here a pic of how the backside is done.

[Image: beltTest02.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM