Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Derveni Pectoral Reconstructed?
I was recently looking back again through the pictures I took on a trip to Greece I made about a year ago and I noticed a picture of the finds from the burial that included the Derveni gorget or pectoral. This of course often comes up in the discussions of the use of leather in armour in Macedonia and is cited as clear example of the use of leather as a backing for scale armour. However, here is what it says on the descriptive tag in the display:

Quote:Pectoral made of gilt bronze chips attached on leather (reconstructed) B 46

Other sources I have seen about this pectoral do not mention if the leather is original or reconstructed. It does seem exceptionally well-preserved, though, especially considering the poor state of preservation of some of the other finds from the burial. Can anyone chime in with more information on this?
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
From what I can remember,because I looked closely to it when i was in the Thesaloniki museum,part of the leather is original and much of it is reconstructed. It wasn't written but this is how it looked.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]