Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Civil strife in LBA Phoenecia
Its fairly well known that some Iron Age Phoenician cities were democracies, which developed out of a Bronze Age tradition of kings and wealthy merchants governing cities. I just came across a text which suggests that in at least one Late Bronze Age Phoenician city, the masses could also exercise some power. Listen to the governor of Byblos (known as Gubla in Akkadian) writing to Pharaoh:

Quote:Now Aziru has taken Sumur and when the people of Gubla saw this, (they said), “How long shall we contain the son of Abdi-Ashirti. Our money is completely gone for the war.” Then they moved against me, but I killed them. They said, “How long can you go on killing us? Where will you get people to live in the city?” So I wrote to the palace (ie. Egypt) for troops, but no troops were given <to> me. Then the city said, “Abandon him. Let's join Aziru!” I said, “How could I join him and abandon the king, my lord?” Then my brother swore and swore to the city. They had a discussion, and the lords (property owners) of the city were joined to the sons of Abdi-Ashirta.
Later Rib-Haddi explains that he spoke to the governor of Beirut and led an army back to Byblos, and the people were divided. Some were angry that the rebels had brought foreign troops into the city, and some were scared because Rib-Haddi was supported by Egypt. The people threw out Aziru's troops, but the city remained divided between supporters of Rib-Haddi and supporters of Aziru. He did not dare to live in Byblos, and the people there were turning against him again.

Note that the word “city” is used in the sense of polis, political community.

If you changed a few names, this could be a Greek tyranos reporting to the Romans during the Mithridatic wars. However, Rib-Haddi finds it necessary to call himself mud beneath Pharaoh's feet, so perhaps we shouldn't get too excited about popular power in a profoundly undemocractic world. I was very surprised to notice this text, and perhaps someone can explain how I'm interpreting it wrong.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.