Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Roman Fort - Animation
Hi All,

I just completed my first animation of a Roman Fort and a few aspect of Hadrian's Wall. I won't give out the name right now but I think you will be able to figure it out. Again its my first animation...not quite ready for the BBC ...lol . Best viewed in high definition.

Its available here on You Tube. Let me know what you think!

[url:2o7x2rrg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsuR6OEdQfo[/url]
- Steve
[url:a8jteds6]http://www.ancientvine.com[/url]
Beautiful, Steve, I was first to gave you 5 stars. Smile Only parts of the kit could have been a bit more authentic looking (for this era).
--- Marcus F. ---
Excellent work! Only think I would say is next time use an Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic filter while rendering. Unfortunately it would take 3 times as long, but hey. Wink
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
just awesome. Confusedhock:
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Quote:Excellent work! Only think I would say is next time use an Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic filter while rendering. Unfortunately it would take 3 times as long, but hey. Wink

Oh I know all about anti-aliasing. All those frames were anti-aliased. Part of the problem could be you didn't view it in HD or HQ as its called on you tube. You can find it at the bottom right hand side. Much clearer. Even still there is a bit of flicker and that is the software. I like the animation but to do say 5 seconds of animation took about 16 hours of rendering minimum. I have roughy two minutes of video and spent tons of hours...anyway. Not ready for the history channel yet but I'm working on it. Although I've seen worse on the history channel...lol
Thanks for the input though.
- Steve
Look forward to getting home to see this! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Good work Steve.

If this is your first animation then I can only imagine what your next project will look like.

Please forgive my ignorance in asking a simple question: Is it reasonable to assume that what we see in the animation is how Roman Britain would have looked? :oops:

To my untrained eye the answer would be yes. Am I wrong? :|

Perhaps the Forum can weigh in on this as well though so far the answer seems to be a resounding "yes." Smile

This is one I will certainly show to my grandson.

Congratulations -- now, What's next?

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Good work Steve.

If this is your first animation then I can only imagine what your next project will look like.

Please forgive my ignorance in asking a simple question: Is it reasonable to assume that what we see in the animation is how Roman Britain would have looked? :oops:

To my untrained eye the answer would be yes. Am I wrong? :|

Perhaps the Forum can weigh in on this as well though so far the answer seems to be a resounding "yes." Smile

This is one I will certainly show to my grandson.

Congratulations -- now, What's next?

Narukami

Thanks David, All

Yes, what I have created is a reconstruction of the Pons Aelius Roman fort at Newcastle. Also I threw in some "footage" of a Milecastle and Turret. All of it was based on the scant evidence and research of Yuri from this site. So in essence it is an artists rendition based on what little evidence there is of the fort and surrounding area.

Next projects ...there are many. But I might be teaming up with another animator to create an animated interactive Roman Mystery set in Pompeii (TBD). Currently I am working on the ground work and research to reconstruct the Pharos of Alexandria , or better known as the Lighthouse of Alexandria. I will also be working on creating an educational section to my site for children/students so they can learn various aspects of Roman life, military..the basics.
Thanks again!

Cheers,
Steve
- Steve
Well done! You've got a great eye for aesthetics. How scientifically accurate are your models? What sources do you use?
Ethan Gruber
Excellent job. Not sure why it isn't ready for the history channel, when even you say that you've seen worse on it. It's rendered very well, and all objects are modeled expertly. You can see a few issues such as texture flickering on houses around the 0:34 mark, but I'm sure you'll work that out.

You even added pedestrians walking which is excellent! Consider adding more people, clusters of people strewn about, or perhaps 2-3 guards at the bridge to give the scenery more life.
Multi viri et feminae philosophiam antiquam conservant.

James S.
The auxilia coming out of the gate seemed to have a limp. Now that's detail! Obviously an old war wound--perhaps speared through the foot in a pitched battle?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:The auxilia coming out of the gate seemed to have a limp. Now that's detail! Obviously an old war wound--perhaps speared through the foot in a pitched battle?

Oh yes that would be the old salt Gaius Julius Gallus...Yes, he claims it to be an old injury from the Brigantes rebellion back in AD 155, but don't let him kid you. Rumor has it he was drunk when he dropped a full amphora of wine on his foot! :lol:

Thanks SigniferOne, Animating the characters, was at times, a real pain in the ***. Early on I tried numerous times to get several figures to animate in one scene with no luck. I wanted to see the auxilia march across the Pons Aelius. Due to the limits of my hardware I could only animate 3 to 4 at once. The marching auxilia at the end was a different process. But as a whole, the project was a good learning experience and I only hope to improve going forward.

I was thinking of doing a roman marching camp...not sure. I need to do some research. Any new ideas or suggestions for a new [similiar] animation are welcome. Thanks again for your kind words!
- Steve
Quote:I was thinking of doing a roman marching camp...not sure. I need to do some research. Any new ideas or suggestions for a new [similiar] animation are welcome. Thanks again for your kind words!

A Marching Camp would be a welcome adventure.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I found it very interesting infact very good indeed however I don't know if you remember a topic of discussion about this fort where Yuri and I talked an awful lot about it.
What I find is that the fort is shown to be behind Hadrians' Wall and that is the point I would disagree with, but then other than that everything is just wonderfull.
If I may be allowed to go a little off topic it is my opinion that the Pons Aelius fort is not a Wall fort at all but belongs to the Stanegate frontier, and when the Wall was built it was tied onto the Northwest corner of this fort.
Brian Stobbs
Somehow I only spotted this topic now. It's wonderful. I realy like the people moving in the animation! Just awesome! Laudes!
ALA I BATAVORUM