Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome Total War- Battle strategies
what are some of the battle strategys you do in the game?

mine are:

Heavy Infantry in the front in a double line formation
Light Infantry in the rear in a 4 man line formation
Missile units in the rear of infantry
and reserved units behind the missile
and the Calvary in the rear since they are weak against infantry

Here is a representation:

[Image: rtwstatistics.jpg]
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
Doesn't that pretty much make for a slug-it-out kind of battle? Many times, I'll send the missile units out front for a volley, usually against "naked fanatics" or falxmen, since they have no shields...and to draw at least one of the enemy infantry forward, while trying to send the cavalry around the unshielded flank.

When the enemy infantry advances, I'll usually pull the missile troops back, if they don't go on their own, then move them to the left side, so their missiles attack the "sword side" of the enemy, while the infantry engage, often two units on one, trying to break the center. Whenever possible, I hit the enemy from the rear with the cavalry. Once a unit routs, then, I'll concentrate on whatever is next to the fleeing unit's place, so as to divide the lines into two groups.

That is my ideal. Sometimes it's worthwhile to send one cavalry unit after the fleeing enemy, to take their numbers down to two or three, as they will not return for the next battle. Often as not, when I'm successful, there will be zero enemies remaining. It does take some micromanagement of units, but that's what generalship is about, isn't it?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I do similar Dave.
If i have archers I line them up behind the first or second line of infantry.
If I have slingers and velite/javalin skirmishers, I will line the spear chuckers behind the first line of infantry, which usually consists of the lighter, or less experienced heavier infantry.

As you say, wear them down from a distance with the longer ranged skirmishers,
until they either attack od I run out of ammo, then close the formations to allow the archers and javalin troops to do some damage.

If I have missile cavelry, they simultaneously attack the rear and flans of attacking enemy, or harrass the flanks of stationary troops.
Heavier cavelry, I use to hammer the rear of engaged enemy, or to take out their artillary if they have it, or archers....

Also depends on who the opposition is, to what exact tactics I utilise in what combination, too.

Flexibility is the key!!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I usually play as Macedonians, so I try to use Alexandrian tactics as much as possible. My usual pre-battle setup is a modified Gaugamela battle line.

[Image: mythosrtrl.png]

Hypaspists guard the flanks of the phalanx, which is refused on the left wing, as I use my right wing as my main attack arm. I put cretan archers and skirmishers out front to pepper the enemy lines as much as possible, attempting to draw the enemy forward on the sarissas of my phalanx. If the enemy has a large force of archers I bring up my phalanx as quickly as possible in order to fix the enemy infantry in place, while minimizing the amount of time my own troops are under fire. If the enemy takes the bait and charges my lines I withdraw my archers and skirmishers through my phalanx and reposition them on my wings, supporting the hypaspists. I also keep a unit or two of spearmen in reserve in anticipation of enemy flanking cavalry maneuvers. My general I keep being the phalanx where he urges his men on for the glory of Macedon and the memory of Alexander. I put him behind my phalanx for his morale bonus so my phalanx will keep the enemy infantry occupied as long as possible and not break. While this is happening, hopefully on the right wing the Hypaspists have adequately guarded against enemy flanking maneuvers and my 5 unit-strong cavalry force has made it's way behind enemy lines to disrupt (slaughter) the enemy missile troops or kill the enemy general. Then they'll begin striking the enemy infantry from the flanks or rear in repeated hammer n' anvil charges.

Well, that's the pre-battle PLAN anyway. It never quite works out that well in practice. Wink
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Quote:I usually play as Macedonians, so I try to use Alexandrian tactics as much as possible. My usual pre-battle setup is a modified Gaugamela battle line.

[Image: mythosrtrl.png]

Hypaspists guard the flanks of the phalanx, which is refused on the left wing, as I use my right wing as my main attack arm. I put cretan archers and skirmishers out front to pepper the enemy lines as much as possible, attempting to draw the enemy forward on the sarissas of my phalanx. If the enemy has a large force of archers I bring up my phalanx as quickly as possible in order to fix the enemy infantry in place, while minimizing the amount of time my own troops are under fire. If the enemy takes the bait and charges my lines I withdraw my archers and skirmishers through my phalanx and reposition them on my wings, supporting the hypaspists. I also keep a unit or two of spearmen in reserve in anticipation of enemy flanking cavalry maneuvers. My general I keep being the phalanx where he urges his men on for the glory of Macedon and the memory of Alexander. I put him behind my phalanx for his morale bonus so my phalanx will keep the enemy infantry occupied as long as possible and not break. While this is happening, hopefully on the right wing the Hypaspists have adequately guarded against enemy flanking maneuvers and my 5 unit-strong cavalry force has made it's way behind enemy lines to disrupt (slaughter) the enemy missile troops or kill the enemy general. Then they'll begin striking the enemy infantry from the flanks or rear in repeated hammer n' anvil charges.

Well, that's the pre-battle PLAN anyway. It never quite works out that well in practice. Wink
wow that is an excellent strategey i tried something different last night by having the heavy infantry in the middle with auxilia units on the ends of it with Velities in the front and archers in the rear and some Auxilia on the sides of the archers and calvery just spread out into a double line
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
I just started playing this about two weeks ago, and my battle plans stink. Cry I normally have better luck having the computer automatically determine the outcome of the battle, which takes most of the fun out of it. I need to do some more playing to get better.

Last night the Senate demanded the suicide of my faction leader and I refused. So they declared war. I imagine I'll be getting a lot of practice now!
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Last night the Senate demanded the suicide of my faction leader and I refused. So they declared war. I imagine I'll be getting a lot of practice now!
No, Young Starwalker, now you will die.

You are now at war with all the other factions, who will mercilessly attack on all fronts, and all allies of theirs will attack you, too, most likely. Somehow the SPQR faction has death rays, nuclear ballistae, and air support. You can often attack them at 3:1 and be routed. They are the Jedi, you are the pond scum. Do not refuse the suicide order. You'll just appoint someone else faction leader and go on with your biz. Blame all your misfortunes on the leader who took all the money and invested it in Ponzi schemes, and thank the Senate for finding out about it. You'll last longer.

I don't think you can redeem yourself with the Senate once you've been outlawed.

What level of difficulty are you playing?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I'm playing on the "easiest" difficulty.

Yeah, they don't seem to be too forgiving. I sent diplomats to the other Roman factions and to the Senate to ask for ceasefires. They said no, so I offered money too. :lol: That didn't work either, so I marched on Rome. It only had three units and I took it fairly easily. I also sent assassins to swarm the other factions and knock off their generals. :twisted:

But the Julii took my foothold in northern Gaul and the Brutti are attacking all my fleets.

It's a shame, because I was really kicking butt. I had all of the British Isles, Spain, Africa, Egypt and Phoenicia and was marching north into Asia Minor. But now I have to worry about fighting the other factions.

This really is a fun game. I'm wondering why I never tried it before.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
yeah it is a fun game i purchased the Medieval Total War 2 and the expansion for it even though it has really good graphics *individual soldiers have their own characteristics* i still prefer the game play of RTW! i dont like the expansion for RTW it blows hahahahhaha its practically the dark ages hahahahaha.

but if you get tired of the traditional RTW game you might wanna try a mod i found that improves the graphics and the legions *ADDS MORE UNITS!*

here is a quick screen cap of the new units for the S.P.Q.R

[Image: romayv2.png]
[Image: roma3hk3.png]
[Image: griego2zv4.png]
[Image: cartagoaq6.png]
[Image: ejipciosrt1.png]

THESE ARE ONLY A FEW OF THE NEW UNITS NOT ALL!!!!!!!!!!
[url:172xb22h]http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65725[/url]
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
What name/what URL is the mod found?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I never got the difference between Roma Surrectum and Rome Total Realism. I absolutely adored RTR 6.0 though. Very impressive and as historically accurate as they come.

As for being asked suicide by the senate, it never happened to me. What I did was simply get so far into the game that I positioned large armies and navies beside every city of my allies before I waged war with the senate. When I attacked and they all rebelled against me, it was like the Jedi Purge - something like 50 cities immediately fell into my control and through the massacres I made untold millions. By that point the only armies that could oppose me were the 10-15 stacks scattered throughout the map, and without cities to replace their losses, their guerrila style warfare tactics did not last long.
Quote:When I attacked and they all rebelled against me, it was like the Jedi Purge - something like 50 cities immediately fell into my control and through the massacres I made untold millions.

Population control is part of the game, eh? :twisted:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:
Quote:When I attacked and they all rebelled against me, it was like the Jedi Purge - something like 50 cities immediately fell into my control and through the massacres I made untold millions.

Population control is part of the game, eh? :twisted:

Oh yes, definitely. That will teach them not to side with the wrong family eh? :twisted:

It was a beautiful moment though. Through them I was saved many game hours without having to actually attacking these factions one by one and taking their cities. Much easier when your 'alies' do it for you and allow you to pass through their territories and position yourself within the outskits of each city. In like one turn 3/4 of the map became mine, add that to what I already had and there you go, all that is left is a handful of factions with one city each, rome itself with its gigantic stacks of uber-soldiers, and random stacks of now citi and empireless romans scattered about.

''ONCE MORE THE JULII WILL RULE THE GALAXY..... AND WE SHALL HAVE PEACE!'' :twisted:
their site is a forum section on www.twcenter.net
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
That's a good idea with having your armies in your allies' territory. Unfortunately I was totally unprepared for civil war. I'm desperately trying to defend Spain and am going to have to evacuate Italy, I believe. I'm still expanding in Asia Minor, but I had most of my good armies over there when war broke out.

Last night I made an effort on the battle screen and appear to be making some progress. I seem to have the most luck when I have good superiority in cavalry. They can take the flanks and then hit the rear of the enemies' infantry.

I still have problems keeping things orderly, though. My battles tend to end up being disorganised messes with units running back and forth all over the screen. Very chaotic.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Players needed Rome Total War Warrior of Italia 7 3,239 11-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Stug50
  Rome 2 Total Realism 3 released JaM 2 5,897 12-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Timus
  Rome: Total War II rononmaximus 250 90,407 10-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Last Post: womble67