Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Movies on ancient rome
does anyone know any good movies about ancient rome that has alot of good battles in it
such as Gladiator?
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
Have you seen this thread ?

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7153">viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7153<!-- l

~Theo
Jaime
There aren't any good battles in "Gladiator"...
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
it was an example
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
Quote:There aren't any good battles in "Gladiator"...
Although it was great fun to create that dog Latin "Roma victor"; and it was of course brilliant to introduce Obi-Wan Kenobi to a story about ancient Rome. :wink:

[Image: obi-wan-kenobi-01-large.jpg][Image: gladiator_richardharris_01.jpg]

But joking apart now: Spartacus has some acceptable battle scenes.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:
Matthew Amt:2632aztj Wrote:There aren't any good battles in "Gladiator"...
Although it was great fun to create that dog Latin "Roma victor"; and it was of course brilliant to introduce Obi-Wan Kenobi to a story about ancient Rome. :wink:

[Image: obi-wan-kenobi-01-large.jpg][Image: gladiator_richardharris_01.jpg]

But joking apart now: Spartacus has some acceptable battle scenes.
the 1968 movie?
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
Fall of the Roman empire has some extensive pilum-throwing scenes, which is rare in a movie. And it's a fun movie anyway...
Aka
Christoph
Quote:
Jona Lendering:2eo0s1cv Wrote:Spartacus has some acceptable battle scenes.
the 1968 movie?
1960, actually; go here for details.
Jona Lendering
My website
Just watched Fall of the Roman Empire a week or so again. And, Sophia was even more beautiful than I'd remembered. Sigh.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
what about the "Last Legion" i thought that was a fairly good movie even though it looked like they used Punic wars style helmets and leather armor and they used a dragon for the signifier for the 9th legion...
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
...and not much if any of the things they depicted actually happened....

It was a fun movie, even though pretty fully fantasy. Historians cringed from about the first two minutes, I'm told.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Speaking of Movies on ancient Rome: if you like old-movie i can recommend Cabiria (from 1914). Very good Italian movie. It movie sets itself during the Punic wars. Highlight for me was the Roman siege of Syracuse with the deathray.
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
yeah what about Hannibal Romes worst nightmare?
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
Quote:Speaking of Movies on ancient Rome: if you like old-movie i can recommend Cabiria (from 1914). Very good Italian movie. It movie sets itself during the Punic wars. Highlight for me was the Roman siege of Syracuse with the deathray.
Oh yes, I loved it. With poems by D'Annunzio.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:
Jeroen Pelgrom:1m4v5njp Wrote:Speaking of Movies on ancient Rome: if you like old-movie i can recommend Cabiria (from 1914). Very good Italian movie. It movie sets itself during the Punic wars. Highlight for me was the Roman siege of Syracuse with the deathray.
Oh yes, I loved it. With poems by D'Annunzio.
never saw it i dont really go for OLD movies haha ^_^
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R