Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preserving Wooden Weapon Hafts
For a long time now I've been trying to reconcile my observations of Medieval and later hafted weapons' appearance- being darkish brown- with the suggested common materials (light-coloured hardwoods like Ash) without any luck, but may have found an idea that would work and it might actually work for ancient stuff too- pine tar. Apparently pine tar was classically used by the people in Kurland to seal and protect their wooden skis, and when I learned that pine tar is a natural byproduct of charcoal-making it occurred to me that it might have been used to preserve wood for as long as charcoal has been made.

Obviously naked wood is not going to fare well in wet conditions- warping and such- so some kind of protection is necessary and oil is fine, but not ideal by any means due to the tendency of edible forms to degrade and I don't even know just how available other forms might have been; but pine tar would be readily available one would think any place suitable wood was turned into charcoal and as a byproduct it wouldn't have the same cost and availability issues oils would- and it seems like it'd be a superior preservative.

Apparently it's thinned with a solvent like turpentine, which is isolated from pine trees, and simply brushed on- nothing the ancients couldn't do, and I got the impression from the ski use that it's not sticky or anything when dry, so I really see no trouble with this being a practical possibility for pila, hastae, etc....

Thoughts?
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Sounds logical....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ancients had turpentine... you can buy rosin.. dry sap.. mix with turpentine until you get a paste... sometimes heat to speed it up.. outdoors... HIGHLY INFLAMMABLE!

Or chaar gund available at India food stores.. its dry acacia sap... sometimes called gum arabic...

I also like to dilute hide glue and apply to wood hafts... (hide glue, or knox gelatin).. melt with beeswax...
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Is that what you use as a preservative on the scutums Hibs? :wink: :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yes. I'll probably do a full scutum test in August ///so far so good though...
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

Salvete!

A good coating, or even beter a soaking, in linseed oil would also work very well. We know the romans had flax, so it is not a great leap of faith to presume they had discovered the oily seeds. Turpentine helps the penetration in the wood and also allows it to dry faster, about 5 to 10 % works very well. I use it on hafts of spears and knives all the time. It does colour the wood darker under the influence of light.
Be carefull with linseed drenched rags, these have the tendency to self-ignite if just lobbing in the wastebin!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Use them as fire starters....
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
linseed oil... thinned with turpentine... I concur... great stuff...

ie: many possibilities!
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Preserving Hamata MarcusNorwood 2 1,049 12-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Last Post: agrimensor