Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
report on australian greek phalanx taking arrow fire
Here follows a report made by my friend Peter MacKinnon:
I attended my first Conference since 1995 this Easter, I was the shabbiest hoplite to take the field, having only returned to Ancient reenactment since January. I borrowed an aspis and a Depeeka Corinthian from Richard and also borrowed the original linothorax and greaves made c. 1974 by the Harris brothers (who started AMMAS back in 1971). So I looked very shabby compared to all the beautiful kits on display, but at least the linothorax and greaves looked like they had seen a battle or three (actually more like hundreds, which they have).

The combined drill on Friday worked well, with the MelborneHoplitikin picking up the SydneyAncients commands quickly. There was discussion around whether turns should be towards the aspis or dori (I'm inclined to favout the MH method of turning toward the dori as this presents the shield to the enemy) and one MH lad commented that learning the numbered commands used by SA was easy compared to the ancient Greek ones Arthur of MH uses.

MH also performed their drill on another day and the use of ancient Greek commands were impressive. I suspect there will be discussion amongst SA about possibly using them too.

The high point of course was the "Battle of Marathon". We fielded 19 hoplites with safety glasses (constantly fogging up in the damp conditions and from my perspective making everything look misty). Several of us had snappy mirrored or black wrap-arounds (very Dr Who).

There were a similar number of archers and we formed up in 4 ranks of 5, marching at the slow time towards the archers with spears in the high or low attack position (rear ranks porting theirs). We marched to the cadence set by Arthur, with us all calling "Eros Thanikite" (apologies to Arthur if I mangled the spelling). It got pretty noisy to the point a horn was seconded to sound the halt as some hoplites couldn't hear the call.

The archers were at first asked to volley fire in trajectory down onto us and the comments later from the archers were that it was quite difficult to get the range right with the phalanx moving. Eventually we allowed flat fire straight at us when closer and once we got cocky, we even stopped the advance some 30 m from them and allowed them to fire into us until all arows were exhausted. I can't recall how many runs we made, but it was a lot. We eventually reduced to ranks of 3 and any hits to unarmoured parts were taken and the hoplite retired.

As for hits - there was only one hit in the whole exercise that could be considered a fatal injury; being an arrow that came down next to Arthur's neck, inside the yoke of the linothorax. Most hits were to the right arm, especially around the right elbow. Craig Sitch copped one on the bicep and there were several hits to right hands (Craig Gascoigne copped one on the tip of his thumb). Other than that, there only a few to feet and that was it. Most were to the aspis or to the helmet, with the occasional hit to a greave (my 10 yr old was participating as an archer and I think some of his hit greaves, from what he said). I took several hits to the top of the helmet and one glanced off my left cheek piece (sorry for the dings Richard). Interestingly, there were no thigh hits, even though the shields were raised to protect the face, especially by the front line.

The overriding impression was that the hoplite was relatively invulnerable to arrow fire, especially if not concentrated. It should be noted that while the archers may not have had the experience to drop their arrows on target very accurately, the Greeks were only advancing at the slow time. As Peter Radvan said, if they were approached at the double, or even a charge at the end, there would have been a lot more pressure on them and they would have gotten off far fewer shots before hit by the Greek line.

I have been wondering since if they would have marched up with the spears raised to the vertical or shouldered, thus protecting the right arms, until about to engagte, then having the spears presented at the last minute.

Anyway, there is already talk of doing Plataea at the next Conference, or alternatively to doing something in August that year in Melbourne for the anniversary of Marathon. I'll certainly be at either - it was the most fun I've had in years.

Regards
Peter Mac Kinnon

hopefully Craig Gascoigne will post images soon. I have 1 or 2 if people are interested/
regards
Richard
Very interesting Richard ,was any video taken of the experiment ? 8) cheers dave
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
What found very interesting was how different it was going from front Rank to back, In front you kept head close and as the archer raised you cover right up so you could not see the arrows coming,but in the end in the back rank we watching and calling the arrows and you could by the end tell which would hit you and which would not.
Very interesting! I guess the next step would be a try with experienced archers and a realistic phalanx charge.
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
Please do tell what kind of arrows (and bows) were used? The guys at the annual Ft Lafe event haven't worked out a safe to shoot arrows at people so no archers were in evidence out of nearly 100 participants. Post Photos if possible! I can just picture ambulances loaded with hoplites full of arrows arriving at the local hospital. Loads of fun to see the staff reaction except for all the blood pain and suffering on the part the reenactors!
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
John
The bows were 30 pound bows. Rubber tipped arrows and all hoplites were required to wear saftey impact glasses. What was very suprising out the whole exercise, we marched into arrow fire 7 or 8 times. There were only about two kill hits one going into the neck and the other head hit which the helmet may helped save. 4 wounds to the arms and hands. The archers told us once the phallanx was moving they were having great difficulty getting the range with loads off arrows falling short and long.

The best success they had was when we deliberatley stopped to allow them to get range. Even then there were few hits to non armoured areas. Things I would liked to seen were about double the number of archers at least. By end the exercise most hoplite felt very safe going foward in formation.
The sort of rubber blunts used on the arrows can be found here:[url:2lca3dtm]http://www.archery-centre.co.uk/Catalogue/ArrowHeads.shtml[/url], [url:2lca3dtm]http://www.hornesarchery.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12[/url] and [url:2lca3dtm]http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=B526P/189.0[/url]
Peter Raftos
I just watched this video from the Hoplitikon about it, it has pictures! :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96FhXB2T ... annel_page
"Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie." -Thermopylae

Peter
WOW Confusedhock: .I hope to join in with these chaps in around 3 years when i have my Hoplite kit finished . 8)
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
The video clip and others of theirs are great to look at Smile D ....but in the drill one, I don't think their method of closing up into close order/synaspismos is very likely ! ( they shuffle right and close up on the right marker)......Now imagine a typical Army of, say, 8,000 Hoplites formed up 8 deep. It has a frontage of 2,000 yards - almost a mile and a quarter with each man occupying 6 feet in 'natural/normal' order. To close up in this way would involve the left-hand man shuffling sideways for a thousand yards ! Worse, the Army has just halved it's frontage, perhaps in the face of the enemy and is now seriously outflanked on it's left.....

Far more likely is the way the manuals describe - the half-file leaders bring up the rear half of the file into line beside the front half. The phalanx halves it's depth to 4 men deep, and is now in close order, each man shield-to-shield ( which Xenophon tells us was the depth of the Phalanx battle formation) and still has a frontage as before of 2,000 yards.....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Don't know if it helps in the planning, but there are two types of rubber blunt, and the safer one is the 'red head' - the black are harder and should really be avoided.

We also use flu-flu's, as this slows the arrows down and removes some of the risk (a point we explain to the public when displaying). Inevitably the odd stray arrow will impact with something it shouldn't (I remember one of our practice events when someone 'caught' an arrow INSIDE their cheekpiece of a chalcidian... that won't happen again! .. but fortunately the range and reduced velocity of the arrow meant that it was little more than an excellent photoshoot).

It could, of course, have been a lot more serious, but we practice and have fairly controlled arena displays which minimise any risk.

Some groups use LARP arrowheads (the BIG rubber ones) in later period displays as well.
ouragos

Andy
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.4hoplites.com">www.4hoplites.com
Dave,
Don't be shy! Why wait until you have the full kit - remember you can start off with peltast stuff and work up. If you are in SA there is a very new and small New Varangian Guard group who in their non NVG time do Skythian's with very funny hats. They play with the Hoplitikon and Sydney Ancient's at Conferences.
Peter Raftos
Forgot to say you can contact them at ladoga at nvg dot org dot au
Peter Raftos
Quote:Dave,
Don't be shy! Why wait until you have the full kit - remember you can start off with peltast stuff and work up. If you are in SA there is a very new and small New Varangian Guard group who in their non NVG time do Skythian's with very funny hats. They play with the Hoplitikon and Sydney Ancient's at Conferences.

Peter thanks for the info ,yeah i have a heavy order placed with Manning Imp. the helm in my avatar ,aspis & greaves ,they have recently contacted me to advise my greek spear head & butt are on the way.no idea what sword i want yet. i want to represent a 4 cent. BC punic settler Hoplite in Sicily.Ill contact the NVG Skythians cheers 8)
Any chance of there being Ancient Greep reenactment groups here in the Netherlands? :mrgreen: I've noticed a few Roman ones, but I prefer Hoplites. :twisted:

Perhaps in the future I'll create my own group, wishfull thinking though. Confusedhock:
"Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie." -Thermopylae

Peter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Friendly fire (don\'t use your dory underhanded in a phalanx) PMBardunias 27 5,592 07-20-2010, 12:05 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite
  Was the Greek Phalanx unique in its way? Eleatic Guest 9 3,100 11-17-2008, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Kineas
  Greek and Persian Arrow construction Jason Hoffman 5 2,613 11-21-2006, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Jason Hoffman