Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caesar\'s Assassination
I was discussing the theory Caesar may have known or 'encouraged' his assassination. What do people think of this theory? i found nothing through the search tool but no doubt this has been discussed before.

Off the top of my head the includes;

1 He was getting old and his health was decreasing, so didn't want to 'fade away'
2 This is why he dismissed his bodyguards that day
3 He didn't read the note warning of the assnssination, as he knew it was happening
4 He announced and brought forward the Partian campaign to give his murderes a 'time line'

What do people think?
Francis Aitken
Hello,
Caesar was still going strong in 44 B.C. and had plans for an upcoming war or riot duty very shortly. It's just a thought, but maybe he thought it was just another day at the Senate.

Dante
There was a documentary that discussed this theory a few years back!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Wasn't there a theory that he had a very embarrassing (and eventually fatal, if left to its devices) bowel disease (and that's why he did not stand from his throne in order to receive his accolades from the senate)? I know such a thing ruins his "super hero" status, but he was human after all. Was that a part of this documentary you saw?
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
That rings a bell too, so possibly was. That combined with epilepsy, would ruin any superheroes image!!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I don't think Caesar courted his own assassination because I think he was one of those power-fixated people who never really believe they can die. History is full of them. They can do anything except plan for events after their own deaths. FDR, sick as he was during WWII, never briefed Harry Truman about the A-Bomb project. Dictators rarely make provision for their succession. There are political reasons for this but the main one is that they don't think they're going to die. Power people are like that.
Pecunia non olet
I think that the ideaa is very plausible, but, as with any other idea of the type, impossible to confirm. Trying to draw an accurate, psicological analysis profile on someone who lived two milenia ago based on a handfull of old writtings of doubtfull objectivity doesn't stricke me as even remotely viable. All we can do is speculate.

But your idea could be used quite convincingly for a book or movie, as it is certainly a viable interpretation.
Pedro Pereira

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Caesar\'s Assassination Spot Identified Vindex 14 3,466 10-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Agricola
  Caesar\'s plan to invade eastwards before his assassination stevesarak 9 3,292 04-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Last Post: Alexandr K