Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
so called Balkan helmet find on ebay
has anyone else stumbled on the bronze gladiator helmet that is currently on ebay? They are asking 7ooo us dollars.
Is it listed as a hoax anywhere?
It is quite plausable but would be interested in others opinions on it (construction varies from my understanding of most of this helmet type).
regards
Richard
Seems to be a fake to me.
ALA I BATAVORUM
That is sooooo faaaake.

You would need a cylindrical head, no nose, to just out it on.
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Can't find it. Ran searches under "Roman helmet," "Gladiator helmet" and "Balkan helmet" but turned up nothing. Anybody want to tell me where to search or PM me a linK?
Pecunia non olet
Search for 'roman bronze helmet'
ALA I BATAVORUM
Got it, thanks. I agree, it's fake. Construction is unlike any of the genuine helmets. It's a brimmed hat on top of a cylinder with eye grates added on front. The whole top part appears to be cast, with a cast griffon added. If it's ancient (which I doubt) it was part of a decoration. Junkelmann has a picture of a helmet that was part of a sculptural group. This is probably a modern fake, though.
Pecunia non olet
No doubt about it, that has got to be fake. I have seen helmets just like that for sale in souvenier (sic) shops in Pompeii. The asking price at that time (six years ago) in the shops was about 550 euro.
Wow. For that price, you could get a really nice, accurate, custom made helmet, I should think.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
we have to say that guy is really a bulldog, the terrfic helmet is still on the market. I hope none will lose his money .
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum