Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Native type sword
Today, one of my new soldiers ask me for those native type sword that was found at Hod Hill and is described in G. Sumners book "Roman Army-Wars of the Empire". Did anyone have some information about this sword for me, because i know really nothing about it and my soldier want to include this sword in his 1st Century Auxillary impression.

Thanks in advance,
Marcus
Marcus Iulius Chattus

Me that ave been what i´ve been-
Me that ave gone where i´ve gone-
Me that ave seen what i´ve seen-
...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
You can get one here...

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26178">viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26178<!-- l

I have one and it is nice! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks Byron, i thought that this particular sword was something like a celtic sword, but i was wrong! Hm, armamentaria is always good and this sword looks really great Big Grin
But it looks to good to let it use from my Tyro, and it fit´s better to me Big Grin
Marcus Iulius Chattus

...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
It is considered to be a later combination of the celtic swords and the roman one's.
The style of the decorations is a development of the earlyer Celtic style that exsisited in Celtic Brittain BC into the later Celto-Roman style AD. Therefore (in my opinion) it would be a perfect fit for an auxilia :wink:
This peticular sword was found without a scabbard. So my quess would be that is would have had a scabbard that looke a bit more Celtic.... :|
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
Together with the founding of my new Flavian group it´s time for a new sword (my Frisius F. Gladius is nearly 10 years old and a little bit battered!) i think Big Grin
I like the Celtic Style and the brass fittings and the stuff from ARMAMENTARIA never disappoints me.
Marcus Iulius Chattus

...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
I don't know why, but I can't stand the look of that particular sword. Confusedhock:

Legion: TBD
It´s the same with me. It looks really really great Big Grin
Marcus Iulius Chattus

...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
Yeah, this sword is a good "way" to let you Roman guys develop a taste for Celtic things :wink: .
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Replica of Mainz-Fulham Type \"Vindonissa\" Sword mkoehler 21 5,832 12-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar