Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th century: Sword belt or balteus?
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could give me their opinion which one was used in late roman times or whether it is a matter of "as well as".
I have always thought, that 4th century roman soldiers used the balteus to suspend their sword from. Now I read in "The Late Roman Army" by Dixon and Southern, that by this time a sword belt was much more common. Their reference is the Stilicho dyptich. Every other book says either nothing of the subject or is in favour of the balteus. (As are the Osprey books - though I am inclined to believe Dixon and Southern.)

Stilicho: http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... 0419205235

(I'm sorry if this has been asked before. If so just point me in the right direction and tell me "go". :lol:
If i do a search, i always end up somewhere else... :oops: )

Regards,
Gregor
Hraban

a.k.a. Gregor
[Image: baudrierev9.th.jpg]
Various suspension systems based on late roman iconography.

You can see most are using a balteus. I think a sword belt would have been ideal for a rider, and may also have been adopted from barbarians, either Germanic or steppic.
"O niurt Ambrois ri Frangc ocus Brethan Letha."
"By the strenght of Ambrosius, king of the Franks and the Armorican Bretons."
Lebor Bretnach, Irish manuscript of the Historia Brittonum.
[Image: 955d308995.jpg]
Agraes / Morcant map Conmail / Benjamin Franckaert
Thanks a lot. This is really helpfull. Smile

Why didn't I think of the iconography but tried to find out from books. :oops:

The drawings also show nicely that the balteus is actually worn over the belt, when most people I (including me) know tuck it ander the belt to prevent the sword from jumping around too much. Could this be just an artistic topic?

Thanks again.
Hraban

a.k.a. Gregor
Very thin baldrics can often be seen, there is a great example from the Villa Armerina - two soldiers with big red waist belts, and thin red baldrics.

Stilichio is famously wearing his sword at the waist. I simply switch from one to the other as situation or mood dictates. On a march the waist suspension is more comfortable, in a hurry the shoulder suspension works well, also the shoulder suspension is good if carrying out manual labour.

But always check the books - then go to the sources. Its invaluable, great fun and is very satisfying when you find something no-one has noticed before!
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Yes, I think I'll probably make myself a belt as well as a baldric and start switching too Big Grin . That sounds like a good idea.
Thanks for the Villa Armerina hint.
Hraban

a.k.a. Gregor
Quote:Yes, I think I'll probably make myself a belt as well as a baldric and start switching too

I was advised to have one belt that is long enough to go over the shoulder and take an extra turn around the scabbard to shorten it when I want to wear it as a waist belt, with a second set of holes for the buckle, which leaves the long loose belt end. It works really well and is handy if you are short on leather or fittings. Smile
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
There is the Achilles missorium (silver plate) dating to the time of Stilicho which shows at least two men wearing narrow baldrics. Here's the link : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... is_344.jpg

~Theo
Jaime

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,729 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  4th Century Roman Belt Color Antoninus05 9 4,797 02-27-2016, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Damien Deryckère
  Sharpening 1st Century Gladius and Spatha Sword Points Pointer 0 1,391 08-22-2015, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Pointer