Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
making a portable bench
Okay, here a small how-to about how I made some wooden benches for my group, Corbvlo, which can be taken apart for easier transport into 4 pieces each.

We made them from 3 cm thick furniture panels and a piece of 5 x 5 cm furniture wood.
[Image: DSC05821.jpg]

As we wanted to make more of those we started with making a paper mould for the 'legs'. On the picture you can see how we constructed an hole in the middle which will later be used to stabalize the bench. The backside of the leg is left straigh, so we can also place them against a wall. The front is rounded, like some stone examples from pompeii show us.

[Image: DSC05822.jpg]

[Image: DSC05823.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
[Image: P1030350.jpg]

And a first assembly:
[Image: P1030355.jpg]

Finally we gave them a coat of oak colored paint, both for a better look and protection.

[Image: DSC07064.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
And here some pics of the end results, both assembled and disassembled. Hope this small photo series will be of any help to anyone who want to make some seating for on side, which is easy to do and take with you to an event.

[Image: DSC07062.jpg]

[Image: DSC07063.jpg]

[Image: DSC07065.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jurjen I think you would do well in the garden furniture business these are fantastic !!!
Brian Stobbs
First rate specimens, Jurjen! Well done.
+
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Nice work Jurjen! I like your solution for securing the cross beam. I was looking for wedges! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Great idea Jurjen...seating arrangements are always in question at events...

Legion: TBD
With your permission, I'd like to make some of these, too. I'm in metal shop mode right now, but will soon be back on the woodworking task. Benches are always needed, both for sitting, and setting boxes and baskets on.

I wonder if the same leg closure could be adapted and scaled up to table size?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:With your permission, I'd like to make some of these, too.

No problem. I posted them to inspire others, just as I'm often inspired by the work of others.

Quote:I wonder if the same leg closure could be adapted and scaled up to table size?

Yes, I think so, although there are also other, probably nicer methods for supporting the table, as we can also see from finds from pompeii, like simple shores.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Simple, portable, elegant. Laudes! I only wish I had the woodworking tools to make some for myself. Now has anyone made a portable lectus for sleeping or dining?
Iulia Sempronia (Sara Urdahl)
Officium ante Proprium Bonum
Quote:Now has anyone made a portable lectus for sleeping or dining?

Yes, the CRS has one in one of their portable room settings. I'll see if I can get pictures at Verulamium on the 10th May
Plurimas gratias! I look forward to seeing pictures!
The populares vindelicenses have portable clinae. Very nice ones, actually.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
They do indeed! Now that's the way I want to live when I'm out on encampments. Excellent reenactor group site, BTW; I can read enough German to navigate my way around a bit. I only wish that there were larger photos of the klinae, or construction plans Wink
"Now has anyone made a portable lectus?"

Well, funny you should ask Big Grin I recently finished work on the basic version of a Lectica in beach and pine. It can be disassembled to its bare elements and will double as a lectus and lectica. It made it's maiden appearance at the recent jubilee of the Allard Pierson Museum in Amsterdam. My cracious doughter had the honour of being the first carried and apparently the elevated position went straight to her head; she complained that since the Lecticarii were of unequal length she rocked too much for good comfort...
I will post pictures asap!

Pavlvs
Paul Karremans
Chairman and founding member
Member in the Order of Orange-Nassau, awarded for services to Roman Living History in the Netherlands

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gemina.nl">http://www.gemina.nl
est.1987

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman bench vice? Robert 17 3,504 03-31-2015, 06:51 AM
Last Post: Medicus matt
  Roman portable sundial WIP MDF 23 4,995 09-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Last Post: MDF
  Portable Level? By Hispania Romana richsc 3 1,636 07-14-2011, 12:35 AM
Last Post: richsc