Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christianity in the roman empire.
Thank you Dardanus Lupus, you have been very helpfull and that last post was very informative. On reflection, I believe that I was asking of the first Pontiff. However, I supose that the first pope in my eyes (the eyes of a catholic) would either be the first pontiff, the first vicar of christ, or even possiby the first to recieve the papal ceremony and be voted in by conclave. Now, that I accept is a very modern idea in terms of 'Roman Army Talk' because the Vatican was probably not built for centuries in the future. (I am no expert but the sistine chapel ceiling was painted by Michaelangelo and he was no roman! even I know that!) Please correct me if anything I have said is incorrect. So now, I suppose my new objective is not only to find the time christianity was the majority in the roman empire, but also the first Pontiff
Quote:First "Vicar of Christ" was pope Gelasius I in 495
answered part of my question as well. So if someone could tell me who was the first pontiff or even their views on the matter of first pope I would be greatfull.
Conor Maher

Messages In This Thread
Re: Christianity in the roman empire. - by Magnus - 05-02-2009, 04:48 AM
Re: Christianity in the roman empire. - by Primus Pilus - 06-03-2009, 07:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christianity and the Late Roman Empire Valerian Pertinax 29 5,794 03-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Alanus