Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red hair in Ancient Greece
I came across this statement on HowStuffWorks.com :

"For a long time, hair coloring has been serious business! For example, would-be heroes of ancient Greece used harsh soaps and bleaches to lighten and redden their hair to the color that was identified with honor and courage."

Is there any truth to this? Was red hair and redheads viewed as being courageous? Or viewed as anymore special than regular haired brunettes? Did ancient greeks really try to lighten their hair to make it red or light in appearance? Also I heard that Alexander the Great has been described as "ruddy". I'm not sure if they were describing his hair or complextion and skin or both. Anybody know anything about this? I'm quite curious to know because I'm a redhead (I always felt like I looked a bit out of place as a redhead trying to pass as a Roman soldier and Greek warrior, being as they were mediterranean peoples and had dark hair and complextion)
Dennis Flynn
Mythology sources gives us clues that certain heroes had blonde (Achilles) or red hair (Menelaos, Pyros (Neoptolemos). Also some Gods like Hephaistos. Alexander also is recorded as fair hair. So we can assume that there were people with red or blonde (more like hazel-blonde not real yellow or off-white hair) hair. But they were rather rare and it was considered a beauty criterion. Same like dark hair people are considered exotic in Scandinavian countries.
Even today really blonde or red hair people are rare in Greece. Fair hair and eyes are considered beautiful. So i guess im lucky for having myself a green eyed and real golden hair Greek lady 8)
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
Thanks a lot!
Dennis Flynn
Saying that, i did meet 2 blond beauties in my travels in greece! Big Grin D oops: 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Am I right in saying that red hair is a mutant gene? I've heard that from a lot of people. They wouldn't have known that back then though probably.
Jeremy Latcham
Quae caret ora cruore nostro?
Well, if that's true, I used to be a mutant, then my hair turned grey, then much of it fell out completely. Beware, all ye of reddened hair.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
whoa whoa whoa .......you're saying I have mutant genes? So than I'm kinda like one of the X-men, except my power if completely useless. Interesting. But I would think that mutated genes are probably quite common amongst humans.
Dennis Flynn
Mutant jeans. Yep. Mostly blue.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I don't know about bleaching hair, but there is mention by Athenaeus and Menander that Athenian women darkened their light eyebrows and hair. Perhaps the fashion was to look more like near easterners or Egyptians?
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
I've read that the hair from blonde and redhaired slaves was used to make wigs for Roman ladies of fashion, too.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
The Names Pyrros Pyriochos Pyrreas Pyrrilos are ascociated with people who have red hair.
Pyra is "fire/flame" in Greek. (Pyrra is the Woman who prepares fire)
Plutarch and Thukidides describe the Molossian Royal clan as red haired people.

Native red hair in Greece are not so ligt coloured as in the Celts. They have darker shades just as the blond is the "dirty blond".

Hope it helps

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient coins returned to Greece Justin I 0 1,114 08-05-2014, 12:04 AM
Last Post: Justin I
  Video-Documentaries About Ancient Greece, Warfare&Technology Agesilaos 26 17,035 11-25-2012, 05:19 AM
Last Post: lucius Gellius cuniculus
  The Laws Of War In Ancient Greece Narukami 2 1,536 06-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Last Post: Gulan