Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memoirs of Hadrian
I just read online that John Boorman is to direct the film adaptation of the book "Memoirs of Hadrian". Daniel Craig (007) is supposed to star as Hadrian, and Paz Vega is supposed to be in talks to appear in it as well. I haven't read the book, but I've heard nothing but praise for it, so I suppose that'll be my next read once I finish the controversial book im on now. What do you guys think? Has anybody read the book? Do you think it'll be a good film? Can Daniel Craig pull off being Hadrian? I bet his acting will be good, and with bushy hair and a beard I bet he will look the part. As long as they don't throw in leather lorica segmentatas and other nonsense, I think it sounds like it will be a good film.
Dennis Flynn
Somehow I can't see him as an Emperor, let alone a bisexual one. :? lol:
I could see him as Trajan though!
Is this book a novel or a historical biography? I haven't read it either.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I have read the book, and I think it's very good, but I'm not really sure how well suited it is for a movie version. It's very much "inside Hadrian's head" a lot. I guess the movie version could succeed sort of like "I Claudius" did, with the main character being the narrator, but the book is much more philosophical than Graves "I Claudius", and I really don't know how they want to handle that in the film version.
Also, please keep in mind that rumors of this film have been around for years now (first with Antonio Banderas starring, then Daniel Craig), we'll see if it ever will be made. John Boorman is very good at creating a different vision of things, though, so if it really is made, it could be interesting.
Aka
Christoph
I hope the movie, does indeed get made, hopefully without too much of a light in the senatorial loafers approach.
Renius/Greg German
Legio VI FFC
Having read the book, many years ago, I have to agree that it is pretty cerebral in its focus - inside Hadrian's head. I own a copy. It is a very well written work of fiction.
Regarding the "light in the senatorial loafers" comment, Trajan was just as "light..." as Hadrian was. The crucial difference was that Trajan didn't wear his "heart on his sleeve" and he had a much better (working?) relationship with his wife. Plotina, at least in its public face. Trajan is known to have taken a boyfriend or two with him on his Parthian campaign. His wife remained behind in Antioch, of course.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
But who will play Antinoous?
Pecunia non olet
Good question that....all the girly boys like Brad Pitt are a bit long in the tooth these days.... :mrgreen: :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
those girly boys never die out ... there must be some secret production facility right below Hollywood :?

anyways, Collin Farrell might do the job, ... even in his sixties, I guess :roll:
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
It's not below Hollywood. It's a stretch along Sunset Boulevard. Cruise slowly and look like you have money and the girly boys come flocking like pigeons.
Pecunia non olet

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Memoirs of a Geisha Aedon 1 1,171 01-28-2006, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Aedon