Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russian Military Clothing, help needed
To all Russian members of RAT.

Hello. I presume you know of my interest in Roman military clothing, which in fact extends to other periods too. Recently the BBC presented a series of television articles on the Russian military. One episode revealed that after many years the Russian military are replacing the traditional feet wrappings with socks!

I wonder if it is possible for any Russian RATers to obtain for me a pair of traditional Russian military feet wrappings? Something suitable (and better than a pair of socks) will be offered in exchange.

Can anyone help out?

Best wishes

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Try ebay under russian ww2 ,modern militaria ,or track down some of the russian RAT guys mate, i used them myself for a past ,russian ww2 infantry impression putting them on right is an artform :lol:
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
Graham, they're called "portyanki" and, if you search on ebay under that, you'll usually find a few genuine pairs for sale for next to nothing.

Or you can pay for my ticket to Sheremetyevo and I'll go and get you some; I haven't been to the markets in Ismailovsky Park for a couple of years but last time I was there you could get all manner of military gear...including MiG pilot pressure suits.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Thanks Chaps

I am quite happy to give one of the Russian RATers a print or something in exchange if any of them get in touch.

Matt did you ever see the Anglo Saxon clothing book I worked on? You may recall your group helped with photos! Did I send you copies?

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Matt did you ever see the Anglo Saxon clothing book I worked on? You may recall your group helped with photos! Did I send you copies?

Graham.

Penny's book on A-S cloth and clothing? Yes, got a nice review copy of that from the publishers. You sent me a copy of the painting of Louise (with her modified hair) but a disc of the photos you took would be appreciated if poss?

Sadly the group went the way of all good things after I got injured but it'd be nice to have the pics.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Graham,
Got them. 2 pairs. Summer pair winter pair.
Sent them by post tommorow.
My brother in law (ex army officer)told me:
Probably as old as the steppe.
No stiches as they might injure the leg
Issued as cloth "by the meter" to troops.
It was the trooper's duty to cut them.
Winter pair was worn over the summer pair .
The correct application "was a science in its self".
Stopped being issued round 90s but far away units still gave them.
Some professionals (kontraktniki) used them on their own initiatve in Chechenia
claiming them as supperior to socks.

KInd regards
Follow the image guide at the end of the page but its safer if yo uhave someone who reads Russian.

http://www.rkka.ru/docs/real/su38/p3.htm

Kind regards