Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
talk in front of school aged kids
i was volunteered to come and talk to the Wednesday night awana's program at my church. these are kids between the ages of 4 and 12. i have no clue what there gonna ask me, I was just asked to come in my Roman get up. Any suggestions? Advice? (Kit is 1stc AD) I figure they'll wanna know something about infantry around the time of Christ so I'll brush up there but ehhehe sometimes I wonder where kids come up with their questions Smile
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Having done lots of programs for school aged kids - from cub scouts through high school students - one thing we do,in Legio III Cyrenaica, is allow time, where possible for the kids to try on or at least handle the armor and helmets. Interestingly enough, we have often found the girls very interested in trying on the armor, more so than the boys in many cases.
With your specific church group, one thing to get across is that legionaries did NOT crucify Christ. That was done by auxiliaries. There were no legions nearer than Syria or Egypt at that time.

The so-called "Italican Cohort", mentioned in the Book of Acts and stationed in Caesarea - from which came the Centurion Cornelius, who was converted by St. Peter, could possibly reflect a real unit stationed in Caesarea. It was likely one raised during the emergencies of AD 6 or AD 9 in Italy, then eventually stationed in the eastern provinces once the "emergency" period was over. By the time its mention, its original soldiers would likely be retired or retiring and all of the troops, classed as auxiliaries, would be of more local, non-citizen origin. I don't know whether its original compliment of troops were citizens or they could possibly have been freedmen or freed slaves (purchased by Augustus from their masters). Troops were raised from all of these groups in both 6 AD and 9 AD after the Pannonian rebellion and the Varus disaster respectively, In any case these special cohorts were kept separate. This particular "Italian cohort" has mention of being volunteers (my Latin is failing me at the moment or I'd use the actual title in the unit's name).

With the age range of your group you can get a wide range of questions. Maybe the teachers/adults in charge of the group can give you some idea of what they want the children to learn from seeing someone in military kit of the time of Christ. You never know in whom you might spark a life-long interest in the Roman Army. I credit my Sunday school classes from age 5 on with being my spark!

Good luck and have fun with it.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
I have done many talks amongst children here in the UK this was many years ago, the general approach I found usefull was to tell them about the Soldier himself ( leave out the blood and gore of course ) infact you are also wearing all the other things you can show them and discuss.
The major point to avoid is do not talk down to them for you might find they know more than you imagine, it was rather difficult here in the UK for Roman History is part of our Schools Curiculum (there were different levels for age groups ) and you had to be a bit carefull with the Waffle or some could very soon correct you.
All I can say is Jump in and have a go !!
Brian Stobbs
Chuck, here's a suggestion: you could add is a short discussion of Eph 6's "whole armor" passage. That can put 5 or so minutes of your time there to additional good use. Get the kids to read each of the elements in order, then explain how they work using the articles of armor. Just a thought. Go for it, and PM me if you want a Celt v. Roman skit for another occasion.

Good for you for helping to build a fire in kids' hearts about Roman things.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Rule number One is that there is never enough time! So stick to basic show-and-tell, starting with tunic and caligae. Keep it simple and general, if only because almost every detail has exceptions or "we think", etc. For a Sunday School class, I might point out that most people in the Holy Land area dressed a lot like Romans, in tunics and sandals and cloaks. None of that bathrobe and Arab headdress that the movies show... Yeah, you'll have to be a little careful not to scare the youngest kids. I avoid kids younger than about 8 mostly for that reason. Ten-year-olds are the best, they understand it all and are enthusiastic. Most teenagers just act bored!

You can let them try on armor and helmet if there's time. Even picking up the shield keeps them happy.

By all means, take credit for the Crucifixion! Aside from the fact that no religion goes anywhere without a good martyrdom, without the Crucifixion there would have been no Resurrection on Easter, and no Salvation. The Romans were one of God's essential tools. You don't HAVE to pull out your hammer and nails, but...

I usually start wearing just tunic and caligae, and add each item in turn with explanation. But that's for a whole hour-long show. You'll probably have to start fully equipped. "Hi, I"m dressed as a Roman soldier from about the time of Jesus. All my stuff is REAL, but it's not OLD..." etc. Stick to what you know--don't worry, you won't run out of things to say! But "I don't know" and "We don't know" are perfectly legitimate answers.

HAVE FUN!!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Quote:(my Latin is failing me at the moment or I'd use the actual title in the unit's name).

COH II ITALICA CIVIVM ROMANORVM

G.L. Cheesman places this cohort in the Volvntariorvm lists, as does Spaul.

These CR units do not appear in the lists given in regular references to peregrini levies as they were raised from Citizens and freedmen. They are quite numerous, and bear the titles voluntariorum civium romanorum, ingenuorum c R, Italica c R and campestris. Collectively these regiments constitute the cohortes civivm Romanorvm to the soldiers of which, Augustus left by his will a donative equal to that of the Legionaries. (Tacitus Annals i. 8 )

As pointed out above, It appears they represent the result of two levies made by Augustus in Italy, the first during the Pannonian uprising in 9AD and the second after the defeat of Publius Quinctillius Varus. The Cohortes I and II Italica could however have been raised at a later date by Tiberius to put down the Brigands in Sardinia (Tacitus Annals ii. 85) If any survived, the Eastern provinces would bet he natural place to send them.
Didn't see this til just now, I hope it went well, Chuck, looks like some good stuff here - maybe the makings of a "how to" for addressing church groups? Big Grin

Edit: actually, I realise that it might still be before your event, given the time difference (?), so I'll have a word for you, brother Big Grin

My top tip - smile a lot Big Grin
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
well it went good. i had two 15 minute sections to talk. wow talk about a whirl wind hehehe. all the kids were super happy and my wife said that was the best the had been in weeks Smile thanks for the help guys!
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Great stuff, well done Big Grin
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Quote:well it went good.
Glad it was a success, Chuck. Kids are generally great. I once gave a school talk to 30 10-year olds and handed out replica Roman coins -- they were super happy! Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On the Front Line ... the Very Front Mithras 2 1,309 06-14-2005, 09:48 PM
Last Post: Mithras