Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ordering from Amazon.de.com to USA
I tried to place an order for a book from Amazon.de.com and got the message that they could not dispatch to my address, which is in the USA. I am trying to order a book or two on die Varusschlacht, which are only available via German sources as far as I have been able to determine. They are children's books-heavily illustrated, which is why I'm getting them and relateively recent publications. First question: Is this normal for them? Second question: If so, could someone facilitate my getting the books?

If anyone residing in Germany or Eruope can help me in obtaining them, I will be grateful. I will settle up all costs to you including taxes, all shipping charges to you and to me, etc. I have a paypal account, which is how I pay for my subscription to "Ancient Warfare", for example, or I can send an international money order.

Send me a PM off list.

Thanks for any and all help!
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Getting stuff from Germany to the USA seems to be extraordinarily difficult. I do not know why. I have had no problems ordering stuff from UK vendors, including amazon in the UK:

[url:1cbawcgg]http://www.amazon.co.uk/[/url]
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Hi,

That seems strange to me. I've ordered books, CDs and DVDs from Amazon.de for shipment to the USA on numerous occasions with no difficulties whatsoever. I wonder if there is something about the address or a mistake that is throwing the system, i.e. PO Box or a mistake in typing the zip code or other part of the address? Perhaps you could try having Amazon.de send it to a relative or friend nearby?

Emil
Emil Bosman
Apparently the problem is with one title, which ships from its publisher. I was successfully able to order another title. So, I will contact the publisher directly about what can be done to get the one title.

Thanks to all who replied.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
You can also try to order from a third party merchant also at Amazon.de (new/used books) . Usually there's no problem as long as they state that they ship internationally.
Pedro Pereira
I'm having issues myself with Amazon and ordering items from the UK to the US. I ordered a book that has been released now for some time. Amazon pre-ordered it for me, but has yet to send it. Another book available in the UK and elsewhere is not available on the Amazon U.S. site (I would need to order it through the U.K. site itself).

There's definitely a barrier between the U.S. and the rest of the world. The U.S. based companies (like Amazon) seem like they have to jump through hoops to get items shipped to them. I'm thinking that if an individual were to order an item (like the original poster did) through a foreign system and straight from the publisher, that whatever is the problem that Amazon is facing, they now are too.

Some of you guys said you've gotten UK items fairly easily... I'm not having much luck with my item so far. But, I have heard from a few people that items from the .de site are REALLY difficult to get. What would cause the problem? Shipping, customs, etc?

Is the best way to always just purchase straight from the private seller as opposed to cross ocean Amazon orders?
"It is the brave man\'s part to live with glory, or with glory die."
- Nomen: (T.J. Young)
Just order from the third parties at Amazon. As long as they ship internationally they will ship everywhere as far as I know. I had to do that sometimes when Amazon itself woudn't ship an item to my location. Plus you don't pay VAT that way.
Pedro Pereira
Quote:The U.S. based companies (like Amazon) seem like they have to jump through hoops to get items shipped to them.
TJ, I think you're forgetting that Amazon is the 800 pound gorilla in this case. They don't jump through hoops, but make others do so. Eg, you don't get on their listing unless you give them a huge discount and deliver your items to a warehouse in the country where they are based at your cost, negotiating customs yourself if you're importing it. Most likely the book you're after was printed in the UK and is on a boat to the US (because that's cheaper and we're not talking Harry Potter here, so simultaneous release is not going to be a priority) and then has to wait to clear customs and be delivered to Amazon.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Yeah it would seem that's probably it. My order was pushed back even further and I'm going to need to go by other means. One would think though that Amazon is Amazon is Amazon. If you order from the US, UK, or German site it shouldn't matter. If they have it in stock one place and can ship it, they will no matter where you are. If you're located in a place that the US Amazon can ship to, so can the UK, German and other Amazon's.

This is the first time I'm really having a problem with them. I never needed to order so many books published in the UK.
"It is the brave man\'s part to live with glory, or with glory die."
- Nomen: (T.J. Young)
Quote:Yeah it would seem that's probably it. My order was pushed back even further and I'm going to need to go by other means. One would think though that Amazon is Amazon is Amazon. If you order from the US, UK, or German site it shouldn't matter. If they have it in stock one place and can ship it, they will no matter where you are. If you're located in a place that the US Amazon can ship to, so can the UK, German and other Amazon's.

That does happen. It happened to me two or three times to order books in english from the US to Europe and receive the package from Germany or France instead.
Pedro Pereira

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ordering Antike Helms richsc 0 893 04-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Last Post: richsc