Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek sandals-soles
The hobnails from the agora museum have been discussed before in the forum. Here some photos
[Image: DSC03348.jpg]
[Image: DSC03349.jpg]
[Image: DSC03350.jpg]
They were quite big!
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Compare those sole with the one Aphrodite is holding here. Notice the placement of the holes and nails.
[Image: 2446009329_e1e598c105_o.jpg]
Giannis K. Hoplite
I felt that the three bronze rivets did double duty as small hobnails. In the 18th C., there are honails as smal as a tiny bead--and a ladies sandal doesn't need the grip of a military boot, but it would still benefit from three points of contact--something I've seen from the 17th and 18th c.

I ghave some photos of the rivet heads in situ, and when they are downloaded, I'll post them.

Also note the bone eyelets, as discussed on another thread, fromt he house of Simon the sandal maker, friend of Socrates, 400 BC.
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
Not sure of the date on this foot aryballos. BUt 560-540 was the date on the caption.[attachment=0:375khihj]<!-- ia0 560et540BC.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:375khihj]
Peter Raftos
I think this one is Etruscan,Peter,
[Image: DSC03081.jpg]
[Image: DSC03082.jpg]
Again from the ANM. Not exactly the same sandal,but has many similarities with the Achilles' one. Note how the central stripes are separated. I wonder if those are all the original copper wired or if some are missing.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Nice one. Here is an archaic Spartan "yoke" sandal in profile from the Chrysapha relief:
Peter Raftos
But,this one is identical to the one i posted above and the Achilles ones! It seems it was the most frequent type of sandal in the archaic and early classical times. Actually,i don't think any of the examples are later than 500bc. I can't remember if the arybalos sandal from the Kerameikos had exact date? Christian?
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Here are an 'Y' yoke sandal and a 'X' sandal dated to 560-540:
Peter Raftos
Excellent! Thanks,hadn't seen those.
Christian,can you post photos of the two sandals we saw in the NM? The one was from that painted stele and the other from the foot of-i think- a statue of Zeus.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Quote:I've seen one Roman sandal- a woman's type- that has an arrow in the middle, suggested to be a 'follow me' symbol (although this is pretty wishful thinking I should think)...

I agree with Martin that those sandals look like 19th century pieces. I would wonder just how many of ancient prostitutes' "customers" were literate enough for any writing to be of use...

Actually from this practice derives the etymology of the word ???????????. It is still used and it means a brothel or any bad famed place (bars/night clubs with girls etc). The word from these places comes from the combined words XA?AI+?Y??? (down/to the ground+print). The girls supposed to wore those marked sandals leaving printing for the customers to follow to their place. The kind of those places was named by this practice. Language is amazing sometimes!

[Useless info mode on]
An analogy maybe to that logic is the today slang word for those places. I wont write it but it literally mean ''Ass-bar''.
[Useless info mode off]
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
Here there are two kinds of sandals from greek statues from the Archeological Museum of Naples, I'm interested too in greek-style sandals [Image: pic00298.jpg]
[Image: pic00297.jpg]
Non auro sed ferro recuperanda est patria
Nulla alia gens tanta mole cladis obruta esset
[Image: vasolib30240105up4.jpg]

Francesco Saverio Quatrano
BTW, I have found a citation for the tale-telling soles of some prostitutes shoes which mentions Clemens of Alexandria,Tutor,2,11,116. I don't own this source myself and I don't think the pious man had some experience himself. :mrgreen:
Wolfgang Zeiler
Quote: and I don't think the pious man had some experience himself. :mrgreen:
I wouldnt bet on it :mrgreen:
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would this pair of sandals be good for my Greek impression? Schiener Augustus 4 1,821 10-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Schiener Augustus