Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone send out for their castings?
I've just finished a couple of wax daggers and chapes, and I'm trying to find a cheap way of getting them cast in bronze. The few art studios I found who'd do it estimated $300 to $2,000 dollars apiece. A jeweler offered okay prices for the chapes ($30-$45) but a couple hundred for each dagger. Am I looking at the wrong sort of companies? Would it be cheaper to do it at home somehow? Or do I just need to wait 'till I'm making more money?
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
I'd try a decorative bronze foundry- places that do plaques and such rather than jewelers and art places, at least for the dagger. They'll just do sand casting, which results in a bit of a rough surface on the object, but you can grind that smooth.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
If you want bronze, then an art foundry is the way to go. There are a few very small casters who self cast bronze, you might be able to find them on jewelry sites, but they rarely cast other people's stuff. If there is an art school anywhere near you with a foundry, they will usually cast bronze for the price of the bronze, just to give the students experience and not waste metal. If you want brass, there are other sources. I know a vacuum caster who casts only brass and nickel (he says bronze is too "messy.") With knife blades, you are in a grey-zone as to size: too small for a regular foundry, but too big for a jeweler. If you can promise the foundry more work, or have them cast multiples (10 or more of the same thing) with more to come, they should cut you a deal. The Bronze Works in Tacoma, WA used to be excellent, but I have not used them in 10 years. Email me if you want more info.
J.L--Cook
Legio XI
Thanks. BCCC has a casting course, but the students are held to a pretty rigid syllabus, so no help there. Not too familiar with any other area art schools. But I'm just outside the Philly and Trenton metroplex; there's still lots to explore.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Talk to the teacher directly. Knife blades are barely any metal at all, they may let you "audit" the course and do it yourself! University of the Arts in Philly has a foundry and there are several small foundries in the area. Check out the New Hope area and ask around. Laran bronze is near you, but a commercial foundry will cost you more. Good luck!
J.L--Cook
Legio XI