Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable?
Quote:Hi Razvan,

I didn't mean to get on your case, but maybe you might consider the possibility that the name 'Gaet' and 'Gatae' had different origins?

Hi Robert Valerius Smile

Well, it is possible to be a confusion betwen Getae/Gets and Goths/Gots, or have diferent origins, i dont know for sure, but, what i know is that Jordanes or Issidor mention some names, related with Goths history, who are clearly Dacian names, of Dacian personalities, known from other sources as well. This mean that even if Dacian ( Getian ) participation, as peoples, in formation of Goths, wasnt that strong as some peoples say ( for sure was a presence anyway ), at least Dacian ( Getian ) prestige was big enough for Goths, that they considered the Geto-Dacian as they ancestors. And this prestige ( maybe even heritage ) was big enough to last much more, if you read parts of Chronicle of Normands,( or see that Denmark was named Dacia in a time ) and there was referings to a region who was exactly the core of Dacian kingdom, later know as Transilvania.
Razvan A.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable? - by diegis - 06-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Re: Getae and Dacians? - by Vincula - 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM