Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable?
Quote:The old view that Goths were totally Germanic is outdated, and we know that other groups were in their mix including Sarmatians and Dacians. But your idea of a "Dacian/Getae origin" is faulty today as it was to elder historians.
Vortigern Studies is correct in noting the Teutonic-Cymbric connection. I believe the Gauls even worshiped a high god Teutates at Vermentum, aka "centre," near what is now Orleans. (I think this tidbit came from de Bello Gallico.)
Your statement that "Masagetae was a mix of Dacian/Getian and Iranian" has no cultural or historic value. The Massagetae extended from the Saka (a Persian word for the northeasten Scythians), and the Dacians were a totally different group.
Am I looking at some kind of agenda to glorify a perceived personal heritage. :? I think I am. And its full of holes and hopeful wishing, but not based on actuality.

Salve Alanus

Yes, i recognize i am Romanian, and i consider Dacians as my ancestors, and because that i am maybe a little biased sometimes, and this is precisely i posted the opinions of some modern foreign scholars and historians, to not be considered that i made up something on my own. They are saying too that is debatable, and little probable, to exist conections between Cerneakhov/Santana de Mures culture, who is the culture attributed to Goths, and other cultures from west and north west, as a prouve of a gothic massive migration from Scandinavian peninsula. And most likely is a local culture, with more then one influences, and with local Daco-Getes having the leading role. If you dont want to agree with this, its OK, i dont want to force you to believe anything, but i must say as well that i found too some peoples who have as well a little biased view and ones who try to push in front western peoples as Germanic and Celtic ones, in detriment of not that know, or with less PR, peoples, as Dacians or Thracians, peoples who haved a more developed society and even culture.
Razvan A.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable? - by diegis - 08-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Re: Getae and Dacians? - by Vincula - 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM