Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable?
Quote:Robert,

Last year you and I reviewed Michael Kulikowski's Rome's Gothic Wars. At that time, I expressed concern over his use or mis-use of Jordanes as a source, as follows:

Quote:A key chapter is “The Search for Gothic Origins” in which Kulikowski deconstructs ancient and modern theories that the Goths or their prehistoric antecedents came from the region of modern Scandinavia and/or Poland. Then he examines archeological evidence in the region from which the Goths first came to the attention of classical cultures. While he acknowledges that the Alans and Sarmatians lived as a horse culture on top of an agricultural substrata, he avows that the remains uncovered in the Sântana-de-Mure?/?ernjachov cultural zone support his assertion “that there was no Gothic history before the third century. The Goths are a product of the Roman frontier, just like the Franks and the Alamanni who appear at the same time.” (p. 67)

Does this relate to the current discussion? I'm having trouble following the thread of the conversation. :?

Hi Ron, yes, that was an article i want to quote from, thank you
Razvan A.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable? - by diegis - 09-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Re: Getae and Dacians? - by Vincula - 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM