Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable?
My good man Rumo,

Where do you think the Huns originated? I'll bet my last teeth, they arrived from the steppes; and if the steppes have not moved appreciably in their geographical location, I would say the Huns originated upon the Eurasian steppes. This is confirmed by the Russians, who have followed the Hunnic archaeological trail, east to west.

You balk at the idea of "mass migrations." That's the way the Irish came to New York. It's the way the Scots landed in New England and Virginia. It's the way the Huns followed a leader-class into Europe, and it's the same way a similar leader-class consolidated disenfranchised tribes and people into a society that became known as the Goths. 8)

To you, the Goths were not based upon any discernable Germanic ethnos, even though:
a. The Goths spoke a East Germanic language.
b. The books of the Goths were in written in a Germanic tongue.
c. The names of the two highest Gothic families were Germanic.
d. The personal nomen of every noble and influential Goth was Germanic.

A crash course in Sociology would more than hint that the dominent factor in Gothic society was Germanic, regardless of what type of wheel-thrown cup they drank from. As for Peter Heather? Watch his goofy actions and scenarios on the "History" Channel, and then tell me that the man has a cranial capacity higher than a chimpanzee. :twisted:

The Goths in the Fourth Century already has its detractors; and when the bell rings at the end of the last round, portions of that book will be considered rubbish. On a happy note Big Grin , I'm glad you ressurrected this thread. It's entertaining.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Re: Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable? - by Alanus - 10-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Re: Getae and Dacians? - by Vincula - 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM