Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable?
Hello again Paullus,

Originally I wasn't planning to "pick on" Professor Heather. He just happens to be the perfect example of "new age" historiscy, ie "let's find a brilliant analysis that hasn't been used before, no matter if its bunk." But really, there are a bunch of these guys out there, and they are all making money and reputations by tearing apart the "old guys."

What I was trying to point out to Rumo was the long recorded aspect of a genuine "Germanic ethnos" within the Gothic hierarcy, aka "ruling families." If they came from Scandia, if they worshiped Germanic gods, if they read a Bible in the Germanic language, if they themselves spoke a Germanic tongue, and if the ruling families had Germanic names? What should we think? Perhaps they were Spaniards just practicing a foreign language so they could visit the Temple of Walhalla without being too conspicuous. Big Grin

So in the final overview, it's not all about language. It's about roots; it's about where your ancestors came from. This great pride in heritage was exactly why the Origo Gothica was written by Cassiodorus for Theodoric and then carefully copied and expounded upon by Jordanes, a Mosian Goth. And to me, even though it might not be exactly correct in our "modern" historical context, it all boils down to an "original Germanic ethnos." Certainly Peter Heather would never use the term. :wink:

"Assymetric warfare"? Confusedhock: That's a new one. But what about all the readers who aren't using the metric system? We can change it to "assyfootic" or maybe "assyinchic." How about "assyardic"? That's the ticket, there! :lol:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Re: Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable? - by Alanus - 11-09-2009, 01:51 AM
Re: Getae and Dacians? - by Vincula - 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM